• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV 6.2L and HUMMUR 6.2L engines. Any differences?

ssgtwright-usmc

I looked in the forum but only found 6.2l vs 6.5L.
Just want to know if their are any major differences between the 6.2L out of a CUCV vs the ones that come out of the HUMMERS.
I ask this because I am bidding on a engine for future use.
I have noticed one difference and that is the oil filter and how its mounted.
The CUCV is twisted on from the bottom as in the Hummer engine its from the side.
I am hoping for a easy drop in without alot of after work adaptions.
So, are their any real major differences in the engine besides how the oil filter is screwd in?

tlm47201

I have 2 hummer 6.2's in my garage on stands. The only differences I see, are the oil filter adapter, exhaust manifolds, fuel lines route a bit different, intake /crankcase pressure valve is plumbed on one side only, the air fan clutch, crank pully, and the glow plugs are bullet connectors, nut spade like the cucv. Oh, the oil pan is different. Mine have a tach drive where the vachum pump goes.

ssgtwright-usmc

So, would a 6.2L from a HUMMER fit easily into a CUCV (M1008)? I like to start a project and have everything ready to install.
Having the parts you need on hand in advance is what I am trying to make sure I have.
Guess its like having a new baby, the baby craps and you have the diapers but you forgot the baby wipes and baby power.
The diapers will fit but the baby is still dirty!

ssgtwright-usmc

Yes, going into a CUCV.
Thats why I was asking the differances. I noticed some differances in the pics of the Hummer 6.2L compared to the one I have in my M1008.
Getting another tranny would be no problem but again....
Good to ask questions first before you spend too much on something you cant use.
If I should win the engine it wouldnt be a problem to sell again if needed.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The Ip also requires 24V for the HMMWV and 12V for the CUCV. Not a major problem though.

ssgtwright-usmc

Thanks Recovry4x4, I did see some differances in the engines from the pictures.
Can you give me anymore heads up on installing a Hummer 6.2 into a M1008!
Looking more into what parts I should have on hand if and when I do a engine swap.
Just looking for a good running engine to put in and hopefully get the old one rebuilt down the road.

AJMBLAZER

Yeah, the verdict on the discussion I'm remembering is that if you already have a 6.2L equipped vehicle you have all the parts necessary to make the swap.

ssgtwright-usmc

Got my CUCV (M1008) 6.2L engine so I was planning on some external parts swaping.
Just feel that the ex did something with the fuel tank and thats why I have so many problems that I do now.
Get a engine for $200, parts and labor, $600 total I hope!
Thats all I want, a clean easy swap but one posting above talked about vacuum and electric transmission in relation to the IP!

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Look at it this way. You get the basic long block which is the same. Everything else is simple to swap over so no worries.

Stagg

The IP having a different shift controller, or whatever you want to call it, is easy to swap... especially if you have the old one. So if I'm reading this right you have the old parts so you will be right as rain in that regards.
I had to do it when I got an IP off a 90s era electric Chevy. And it took about 3 minutes to swap the two parts.

The little controller thingy on the IP just bolts on.

I have pictures somewhere, if you can wait :p .

tlm47201

I got two in a can, one was tagged "removed, engine noise". Put it on an engine stand, pulled the oil pan, expecting a rod bearing bad. Bottom end was virtually new, no wear at all. Pulled the glow plugs, two glow plug tips missing. Pulled the head, near no damage. Replaced head, engine is virtually new (no rebuild markings, so must be a low mileage engine, all standard, no wear), runs sweet. The other shows been rebuilt, but havent torn into it, and glow plugs came out looking fine.

ssgtwright-usmc said:
At least thats the good news, maybe I should bid on some more engines to have around and tinker with.
Add Turbo and ect...

ssgtwright-usmc

I am just hoping that if I do win this auction that I can take some parts off of my M1008 engine and swap them into the engine I won.
If anyone has info on what parts would need to be swapped and what other parts I may need to get in advance like gaskets and ect... would be great.
Looking at having all parts ready for the engine swap.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks