• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV Anyone???

SuperchargedRS

I am in Southern California and am intending to pick up a CUCV Blazer to convert to run an on dual thank Veggie oil system....problem is this:
I CANT FIND ONE!
all the CUCVs I find are like 5 states away from me, or have way to many miles and are beat to a pulp (yea I know it is a mill truck, but I also know allot exist with really low mi, and in more or less un-molested condition).
Anywho, can someone help a guy out here??

Thanks,
-SuperchargedRS

Also if anyone is interested in this veggie system (or as I like to call it the “stick it to the oil companies system”, greasecar.com is one of the larger outfits and there is some info there)
:)

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
SuperchargerRS,
First, WELCOME to Steel Soldiers and our Big Green Iron family.

Second, one of the few requirements is to list where you are, so that others near you can render assistance when you ask for it.

Third, I live in Denver, Colorado and have been looking for an M1009 for a few months now. I've sold my 1991 GMC Suburban and will be replacing it with the 84 - 86 mil spec Blazer.

I have no specific suggestions, except perhaps just have patience. OR be prepared to pay a price and then drive it home, which will be another expense.

So, if there is one in your area, keep looking there. GL might be a place to go for CUCV's.

Also, do a search on 'Bio diesel' using our search function or just go to our 'Alternative Fuel' forum and start reading there. There are a lot of 'OTHER' options to greasecar.com - if memory serves me correctly, they require all sorts of 'modifications' for their system to function properly.

Several people here pretty much just use bio diesel in place of regular diesel. So there is tons of info here and other places that will keep you busy doing research. Not saying that greasecar.com isn't a good site, just there are LOTS of options.

AGAIN, WELCOME TO Steel Soldiers...

jim

SuperchargedRS

Yea hard time finding one.

I have a question though, how do they handle miles (no matter what I will compression test what ever I get), but how many miles is 80k for a CUCV Blazer?

I found a communications blazer that needs a little TLC, new carpet seats (I am planning on swaping Suburbin seats in it anyway and some carpet so big deal), but it looks ok minus that reading 80k, I mean are these things like Internationals where 80k I should expect the comp. test to read almost 100% new or is there anything I should look out for??

Thanks again guys,
-SuperchargedRS

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
SRS,
80k miles for a diesel is pretty much a walk in the park. Having said that, I have seen ones that had 100k on them and were in excellent shape. I've seen ones with 20k that were basically salvage.

So the over all maintenance and daily treatment of any vehicle is the key. Did it see regular oil changes? Was it properly maintained? It probably was during it's stint with the Army, but once it leaves the Army's hands some people don't take care of them the way they should.

I've owned SEVERAL Suburbans, including one 6.2L diesel with a banks turbo on it. If it had not throw the rear main seal, I might still own it. It had over 120k on it when I purchased it and about 160k when it died.

I have a 91 GMC Suburban right now that has 190k on the ticker right now. And it runs like a dream. BUT I maintain my vehicles well above what most people will. So they last a lot longer.

So it just depends on who the previous owners were and how well they treated it. Hope that helps.

jim

John35

Does anybody know where I can find an M1009 CUCV in decent condition near Fort Leonard Wood, MO? If so, let me know.