• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV Blackout Lamp Swap

saddamsnightmare

December 24th, 2014.

OOOPPS, my bad. I do not work with CUCV's, but just about every other military vehicle was (or is) 24VDC. Figures GM slipped that one by me!

Have a Merry Christmas!

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
http://www.lexenauto.com/product-p/cob-drl.htm

When I mounted the M887 SECM body on my truck, I lost the backup lights. I got COB DRL lights for a song on ebay. Can't link them but these linked above are almost exactly what I have.

I have no intention to ever go back to another conventional light. They are awesome. The ones I purchased have 3M sticky foam on them and they are stuck to the bumper quite well. Will try to grab pics soon. FWIW, COB stands for chips on board.

MarcusOReallyus

Wow! You get a decent backup light out of 500 lumens? Times two, I suppose, so 1000 lumens. Do you really find it bright enough?

If so, this would be fabulous for my trailer. Backing up a trailer by flashlight is not exactly a fun task, but it's one I have to do from time to time. For you city boys, maybe not so much, but out here we have country dark, which is a different brand of dark than what you guys have.

Looking forward to the pics!

EDIT: Can't wait for pics. Did some research. Here's a 50 watt halogen which produces 600 lumens.

http://www.vosslighting.com/storefr...ction=prepare_detail&itm_id=17906&itm_index=0

Here's more info:

An average 100-watt incandescent bulb, for example, produces about 1,600 lumens.
The U.S. Department of Energy advises that consumers who want to replace a 60-watt bulb should look for an LED that produces close to 800 lumens; for a 40-watt bulb, look for 450 lumens (see References 2).
So, you've got roughly a couple of 40 watt bulbs as backup lights. Three of those strips is about like having a 100 watt incandescent as a backup light.

Not bad!

Last edited:
http://www.lexenauto.com/product-p/cob-drl.htm

When I mounted the M887 SECM body on my truck, I lost the backup lights. I got COB DRL lights for a song on ebay. Can't link them but these linked above are almost exactly what I have.

I have no intention to ever go back to another conventional light. They are awesome. The ones I purchased have 3M sticky foam on them and they are stuck to the bumper quite well. Will try to grab pics soon. FWIW, COB stands for chips on board.
I would love to see these mounted on your truck.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't give much creedence to lumens, candela, candlepower etc. Case in point, a million candlepower handheld light can't compare in any way to a KC 385,000 candlepower sealed beam. With that said, these lights are 3 times as bright and clear as the factory stuff with a much wider pattern. For less than $9 a pair delivered, it was worth the chance. Thes are daylight pics from a phone. I will try to get more after dark. I did buy 2 pr and glad that I did.

Attachments

MarcusOReallyus

For backup lights, I don't see how you can beat them. I plan to get a couple for my trailer. Low current draw, good lighting, what's not to like?

I found a good demo of them on the Toob. Skip to 0:37 for a nighttime demonstration.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yk5RD018uJ4

For the truck, I have some off-road lights I aquired with the purchase of a Jeep. It had a roof rack with 8 lights on it. A run of 10 gauge from the battery, a relay, and a couple of those under the bumper, and my truck should have some decent backup lighting, ya think? :mrgreen:

Last edited: