• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV Block Heater Help Needed

tklm539

Hello All,

Due to a tire size change, my m1009 is now living outside until I rework the garage doors. It was down to zero last night so starting was a little less than ideal this morning. Its going down to -10 tonight, so I expect more of the same. Rather than slowly kill my batteries, I think it is time for a plock heater. Here comes the multi part question:

What should I buy and how many watts. I am doing it by myself in the cold, so fast and easy is best.

I am guessing that it goes in a freeze plug. Where is it on the motor.

Finally,
I have a heat lamp, the kind you use in a barn for animals, would it do any good to put it under the hood tonight to help in the am? Or am I just wasting power?

Thnaks
Tom

Mike_Pop

Tom,

I just installed a block heater on my M1009. It's real easy if you don't accidentally push the freeze plug into the block. I used the most accessible plug which was on the passenger side. I pickd mine up at NAPA for $18. It made all the difference in the world when we had minus 10 degrees a few nights in a row.

AJMBLAZER

Do a search for this. There was an extensive thread on this fairly recently with some good info in it.

Mine has one and it's wonderful for those cold starts. I had to drive my truck last winter for a while rather unexpectedly and the plug saved the day more than once. Get up, run outside, plug the truck in, go back inside and do the morning stuff and by 30-45 minutes later the truck would usually fire right up.

Somemedic

Mine died this past winter and I installed a new one. I spliced into the heater line and the bottom radiator line. 1500watt and it stayed plugged in all night. I'll say while its cold out, like really cold, you could pop the hood open and after 10 min you wouldnt be able to touch the thermostat housing. Most of the time it would fire up with little GP burn time. I replaced it with one thats a 1000watts last week. Seems to really help. Switching over to a synth oil wouldnt hurt since it tends not to thicken as much as dino oil at that temp. I always wanted one of those pads that glue to the bottom of the oil pan and I think it wouldnt have to be more than 100watts. That in conjunction with a block heater of 500-1000watts would be plenty for the coldest starts. And get some big damn batts.
I read horror stories about jacking around those freeze plugs so i just stayed away from them. That I leave up to you.

MilitaryRestoration

i put both the 1000watt heater plug and also Moroso's internal oil pan heater into mine........................but still have yet to get motor in due to finding out that the crankshaft needs to be reground...so waiting for my rebuild kit.. :-/

hoplite666

Installed one from the GM dealer last week. Didn't do too much research on it. Just gave the dealer the info and they looked it up. Installed it on the driver side. Just in front of the oil dipstick. been driving on it for a few days to be sure there is no air in the system before I plug it in. I'll see how it does.

MDQinChiTown

Directions on the one I installed on my M1009 a few months ago said drivers side center, element in the 12 o'clock position. 900w zerostart from Advanced auto 21 bucks. Works great here in Chicago.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks