• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV Brush guard attachment

cucvrus

I have had this CUCV brush guard attachment in my barn for many years. It was on an M1028 that I bought at DRMO Mechanicsburg back in 2000. I took it off and have been storing it ever since. Today I was spraying some CARC 383 green paint and was done with my parts painting. I had some left in the gun and did not want to waste it. I looked around and remembered that I had this piece I removed from the front of one of my CUCV's many years ago. I found it 2 weeks ago when I cleaned out by lower barn bay. It had a few torn and broken steel footmans loops on it and I ground them off and gave it a quick scuff with the 180 sand paper. Spot primed it and painted it. I left it dry and with some help bolted it on front of the M1009. What do you think? And what would it be used for? Any guesses?
1.) crowd control.
2.) carry cargo
3.) German brush guard attachment so no sharp edges are exposed.
4.) attach mine sweeper (doubtful)
5.) Water can carrier
6.) make it difficult to service and add fluids to engine compartment.
Remember I am guessing. Any guesses? 001.jpg002.jpg003.jpg004.jpg

MarcusOReallyus

I vote for #6! :mrgreen:

Okay, getting serious for a moment, I suspect it's for carrying stuff. Tents, maybe?

Who's the wise guy that machine-gunned your truck?

cucvrus

Fine I am game. I removed it from a CUCV. So I suppose a winterization kit is an illegal Mod also. I will play along. Move it if you have to. FINE. I just wanted to share the picture and inquire about what it was, It is made out of the same steel with the same bends. I was just asking. I had it for many years and just wondered. I put it on to get it back on the road again. I will watch closer for lift kits and cruise control questions.

Drock

It looks factory made to me, not some bubba mod. Whoever made it designed it to bolt quickly to the front of any CUCV using J-hooks. My moneys on tire carrier.

cucvrus

I think it may have been made by cutting a standard brush guard into pieces and welding it back together. Like I said it did have tie downs on it at several places but they were sharp and broken/cut. I ground them off and just mounted it back on as it was after painting. I did use new J bolts. Easier to work with. I am going to cut them off and add tie down ring nuts to the exposed threads. Similar to the ones in the M1008 bed. May never use it for anything but I think it looks super cool and will help protect the KC day liters. With some expanded steel it could be useful for something. I will see if tires fit in it. What ever was in it they cut the tie-downs with a bolt cutter to get it out. It had several footmans loops on the back side also. Maybe for an artic cover. ???? Thank you for looking.

ssdvc

I think it looks pretty good. 1st one I have seen and with an expanded metal bottom on it it could be used for a crap load of stuff. I like it, thanks for posting !

Csm Davis

Yeah I vote tires. But who knows I have seen lots of field mods on these brush guards.
Oh and I bet the footman loops were cut to take the straps off.

Last edited:

cucvrus

Yes I thought they might have fit the other way but the opening is not big enough to fit them in that way. I am thinking tires or concertina wire coils. ???

Drock

I have had this CUCV brush guard attachment in my barn for many years. It was on an M1028 that I bought at DRMO Mechanicsburg back in 2000. I took it off and have been storing it ever since. Today I was spraying some CARC 383 green paint and was done with my parts painting. I had some left in the gun and did not want to waste it. I looked around and remembered that I had this piece I removed from the front of one of my CUCV's many years ago. I found it 2 weeks ago when I cleaned out by lower barn bay. It had a few torn and broken steel footmans loops on it and I ground them off and gave it a quick scuff with the 180 sand paper. Spot primed it and painted it. I left it dry and with some help bolted it on front of the M1009. What do you think? And what would it be used for? Any guesses?
1.) crowd control.
2.) carry cargo
3.) German brush guard attachment so no sharp edges are exposed.
4.) attach mine sweeper (doubtful)
5.) Water can carrier
6.) make it difficult to service and add fluids to engine compartment.
Remember I am guessing. Any guesses? View attachment 554952View attachment 554953View attachment 554954View attachment 554955
Sent you ah PM

cucvrus

I did have the opportunity to get up on the front end of my m1009 with the brush guard attachment today to work under the hood. It was easier then I thought it would be. I have a 2 ft ladder and I stepped between the bars and stood on the top of the ladder. I had no problem working on the engine. I swapped out the 8 fuel nozzles on my M1009. I put a new HMMWV injection pump on last week and it runs fine but has an awful lot of chatter when you accelerate. So I put in 8 HMMWV nozzles. Rain cut my task short. The HMMWV nozzles are shorter then the CUCV ones and they fit. The hardest part of that job was putting the small return lines on. I was on the rear one on the passengers side when the sky opened up. I was soaked and called it a day. I will complete it tomorrow. I only have the feed line and the rear return cap to put on the last back nozzle. Oh I am getting off topic. Sorry please forgive me. I did not find the brushguard attachment as a hindrance to access the engine. That was my point. I will report if changing the nozzles works or not. I posted this here because I put the HMMWV pump and nozzles on my M1009. That is considered CUCV Hot Rodding and Modification. I hope it turns 11's in the 1/4 when I am done with it. :)

Mg84648

I agree with stumpjumper. We used to carry concertina wire strapped to the hood of HMMWV's but I suspect that wouldn't work on CUCV's due to the lack of hard points for cargo straps. Looks like two rolls would fit well on that rack and you could ratchet them down well.
Maybe this was a more common addition on MP CUCV's?

dstang97

It's for crowd control. That way you don't mess up the oem one. That way you can unbolt it and just make another one.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks