• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

cucv camo paint job,paint needed!

hokie8358

i am trying to restore a m1028 cucv. when i got it,it was primered gray.now that i ve finally got it to the body shop,i am coming up short on the 3 color camo paint needed(forest green,blk,field brown).i had a friend that just done his truck an he said the aerovoe paint after sun,weather and time is not worth a flip!! that it being poreous,that after time it would get chaulky! i am spending good money so i want good paint that will last! tried sherwin williams but came up short on the carc line they carry.they acted like if sold to me,it would be a breech of security! can anyone help me and direct me in the right direction? need paint witnin a week or 2! bodywork is almost done.thanks

ryker725

Contact member ranchhopper. He has some 383 green in CARC stashed away and may sell you a few gallons. I bought 2 gallons from him a few months ago... 2 gallons should cover your truck once it is thinned. Once you have the base green on the truck, Rapco rattle cans in black and brown should finish it out nicely..

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Even if you use SW CARC it to will fade after a few years. Every look at anyone elses truck with a factory paint job?

For a truely durable paint, you can get the Sherwin Williams Automotive brand of HodRodders Flat. They can mix it in the correct color. Devilman96's CUCV project was painted with this stuff. Cost about $350 a gallon though. Three years of of Florida's sunshine and it still looks great.

Last edited:

nattieleather

The Gillispie paint from Rapco can be gotten from Army Jeep Parts in PA. The shipping may be less than from TX to you. Or maybe you can take a ride to PA and pick it up. Then you only have your fuel charges. It's a good paint and will do the job for you. Stay away from Aerevoe. It sucks!

CPAPPY

Yes it is a smoother paint job than the standard rough CARC paint. I bought my paint in Cincinnati Ohio shipping 4 gals cost 15.00 dollars not bad .

edpdx

CPAPPY, Good looking paint. What technique did you use to lay the paint down? All green base followed by -Detail HVLP gun to lay down the BROWN and BLACK? What did you use to outline the paint-by-number lines?

Ed

CPAPPY

First I paint the truck green. Then I made pattern for the black for most areas . Then I lay out the rest by hand . There are dimention to hold if you really want to do it right . I have used a pencil and chalk to lay out you lines with chalk you need to take a wet towel and go over the chalk leaving only a smeared outline . then I paint the black first lower the pressure and material flow some spray the outline first then I spray between the lines in a horz. stroke as much as possible . Only do one at a time . Do all the black and I put another coat on. And dod the same with the brown . Cooler days and no sun when painting it drys to quick and it will be light and dark areas black seems to be the worst at that.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks