• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV camo pattern

jimm1009

Camo Pattern for CUCV

The information that you are looking for is in TB 43-0209 dated 31 OCT 90.

You will find it here on S.S. in the Resources section on the 3rd page (approx).

Go to paper page 64 if you are looking for the M1009 CUCV otherwise it is close to that for the others.

Jim

Dabba

okay, sorry to drag this back up, but is that the only camo pattern the military used on these trucks? The truck i looked up on GL had the same patttern with green, dark grey and tan, whereas i think the brown would look better in place of the tan. The pattern is kinda meh to me too. Im partial to the pattern/color alfaheaven uses. Anyone know if thats legit? I wanted authentic military but i think i may go with the same pattern alfaheaven uses, thanks

Elwenil

The green, dark grey and tan was most likely faded 3 color NATO. The patterns Alfa Heaven appears to use is the authentic pattern, which is also the pattern in the TB Jimm referred you to.

Dabba

The camo pattern appears to be different, the first truck is an alfaheaven, the next is one ive looked on on GL, the pattern in the manual matches the one on GL, not sure if the paint is correct though. Were there other patterns?

Attachments

Last edited:

Dabba

are those the same colors? After seeing them side by side im not sure if they're the same color but the tan just looks more tanish on the darker green compared to looking duller on the lighter green. So yeah, any idea on the pattern?

Last edited:

Elwenil

To my knowledge there were no other patterns other than the standard 3 color NATO. That isn't to say that some didn't get painted differently for various reasons but per the manual the Alfa Heaven truck appears correct and the colors are correct CARC or CARC substitute. The truck from GL is not correct per the TB. When looking at the patterns in the TB, 1=Black, 2=Green, and 3=Brown.

ONTOS66

A number of factors come in to play - WHO is painting the truck? WHERE are they doing it? WHAT resources do they have available?

Based on my experience with different units you will get pattern variations. If SGT X tells PVT Y to "goto the motor pool and paint the truck" with no further guidance (and yes it does happen) the results will be a lot different than a paint job performed at a higher level with access to spray guns, patterns, etc.

More than one of my trucks have been "re-painted" using paint brushes and the available paint - which isn't always perfect either. So we take a wire brush to the worst of the rust, and start slapping paint on the vehicle. Sometimes following the existing pattern (more or less) at other times making changes based on preference or artistic talent. I had one SSgt that made model military vehicles as a hobby. He LOVED to paint the trucks. They looked good, but did not match any pattern in the various TBs on the subject.

When we went from the 4 color camouflage to the 3 color pattern most of the truck in service were painted at the unit level (by the operators) rather than being shipped back to a depot for a new paint job.

I'm sure the same thing occurred when the green trucks were painted camo. Just too much equipment to be returned to a higher organization for a "proper" paint job.

And another factor, which was mentioned, is the age of the paint job. A nice fresh one is not going to look like an older one due to weathering - plus the sometimes questionable paint that we had access to at the unit level.

jimm1009

O.K. Bothers and Sisters of OD Green,

I did a little mroe digging into the colors. In TB 43-0209 dated 31 OCT 90 on paper page 368 or PDF page 373 there is dicussion on colors. This same TB references TM 43-0139 dated 27 JUL 88 for color requirements. It is a lot of reading so be prepared to spend some time with it.
Figure B-1 on PDF page 390 thru 394 of the TB lists color requirement for various equipment types.
In the TM table B-2 (PDF page 122) lists many more colors on various equipment.

In an on-line search, I came up with two good sources to actually see the colors.
http://www.colorserver.net/

http://www.fed-std-595.com/FS-595-Paint-Spec.html

I have no affilitation with the above sites but they do have Fed Spec color fans to view.
In short, the pattern on the CUCV seems correct as far a color lay out, but the actual colors may or may not be correct. Colors chosen all depend on geographical location and unit mission.
I suppose the "other" factor in this vehicles color is that Soldier A could have been ordered to cover up some faded paint and this is what they had fleft over from the last mission or he/she ordered the wrong paint and used it anyway.
The general layout is pretty close per TB43-0209, paper page 64. There are two schemes for the M1009. One is repairs of certain areas or faded sections of paint and then there is a Complete Repaint too. I "think" that the multi-color shceme for any vehicle is essentiall the same layout regardless of colors chosen. The exception to this is a solid color requirement like Artic White, or Desert Sand as two examples.
If anyone else has more information, please voice up as this helps us all to "stay military correct".
Happy new year to all. God Bless!
Jim

PS: Both above documents are here in the resources section of S.S. thanks to other members of this list. A wonderful section to research that seems to grow each week. Keep up the good work!

Last edited:

Dabba

idk, the gl cucv looks like the one in the manual if you look at the lines, but it makes sense that the alfaheaven ones paint scheme is correct, the pattern on the alfaheaven truck is not nearly as exact as the gl one. Regardless im goin to copy the paint and pattern on that alfaheaven truck. Thanks

Elwenil

The one from GL, the second pic in the post above, is not the correct pattern. It's very close but someone took some liberties with the brown on the fender, hood, grille and bumper. The truck in the first pic, the Alfa Heaven truck, is correct in that it is green in this area and only has the black over the center portion and the brown at the end of the bumper closest to the camera. The GL truck also has a few areas where the brown is that it shouldn't be but as ONTOS66 said, it may be this way by design or by chance but either way it does not meet the specs for the standard pattern.

Cdub

Weather it's a CUCV, HMMWV, five ton what ever.........You will see differences. Even when trying to stick to the TB for the pattern.

I went through the same thing as your going through right now before I started painting the Woodland Pattern on my five ton. Even though most of the five tons I was looking at had the same pattern more or less. None of what I looked at was EXACTLY the same. As others were WAY off from the TB paint pattern.

I basically used the TB. Then I compared that to the cargo cover and that was a bit different. So I just kinda compromised between the cover and the TB.

No, I never got out a tape measure or masked anything off. It was all marked out with chalk and free handed the rest. I still had to go back a little with the other colors to clean up some of the over spray from before.

Just as an example here are some pic of the five ton I did over last summer.

Cheers,

C'dub

Attachments

Dieselsmoke

My manual shows two diffferent 3 color patterns for the CUCV. One to reotuch the original paint job if say a fender had been replaced, the other pattern is for a full repaint.

Elwenil

Ok, it appears that there are different patterns. One like what Alfa Heaven used, the one I was looking at for a M1008 with canvas shelter and one like on the truck from GL for a M1008 with troop seats. So apparently both are authentic. That doesn't make very much sense to me, but neither does anything that the government does. The M151, M880 and M561 only have one pattern in the same manual.

Last edited:

SDF Troop

I seem to recall seeing the trucks used by the 111th ADA back in the 1980's and early 1990's having the NATO 4 color camo pattern. The unit tactical markings had a Tan colored box with black letters and numbers on the bumper. I guess it just comes down to who does the painting and where.