• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV - Car hauler?

GroundedCLK

I know this thread has been beat to death, so trying not to start an argument.

I am looking to find out what I need to get if anything to be able to tow my '66 Mustang back and forth when needed you know body shop, track, etc. Is this possible or do I need to upgrade some components first. There will be no driving on the highway all or most will be confined to side roads.

MarcusOReallyus

You'll need a trailer and some good sense.

;)

Actually, there is one more thing you'll need - wiring. You'll need to find a way to go from the NATO trailer plug wiring to a civilian type of trailer wiring. If you want electric brakes, that means 7 pin, usually.

Some folks to build adaptors. If you aren't going to be towing any thing with a NATO trailer plug, you could just replace it with a standard 7 pin, install your brake controller, and you are good to go.

Last edited:

Stonepicker1

I know this thread has been beat to death, so trying not to start an argument.

I am looking to find out what I need to get if anything to be able to tow my '66 Mustang back and forth when needed you know body shop, track, etc. Is this possible or do I need to upgrade some components first. There will be no driving on the highway all or most will be confined to side roads.
What type of CUCV do you have?

1StumpJumper

On my M1008 I added a junction box, fed that via a civilian harness plug, then ran wiring to 7 way plug. I also added a class V hitch and a brake controller. As others have said, it is a slow ride.

Skinny

Car on a light duty trailer...yes
Car on heavy duty trailer full of tools, fuel, and parts...starting to push it

As long as you watch your weights, distribution, and brakes it should be ok.

GroundedCLK

I do not have a trailer as of yet, as I am just starting down this road. Do any of you suggest a particular trailer? Like I said I am looking to haul my Mustang around and would be good to haul my two ATV's to the trail head with some extra gear.

wheelspinner

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I towed an AMC eagle on a 2000 pound empty trailer. No problems at all. Load balance is everything. Get the tongue weight right. Sure the power is a little down but I had no issues at all doing 60 for more than 25 miles. Best trailer would be a light weight car hauler. The kind with full length ramps and open center. The short wheelbase if the blazer is not too bad with these trailers. I guess I would summarize that for what YOU have indicated as your intended load there is no issue at all. Good luck and enjoy.

fitz

I have a Big Tex 18' car trailer (model DM 70). I bought it new 10 years ago and I'm very pleased with it.
Towing a car trailer with a 09 always starts a big debate.

MarcusOReallyus

I do not have a trailer as of yet, as I am just starting down this road. Do any of you suggest a particular trailer? Like I said I am looking to haul my Mustang around and would be good to haul my two ATV's to the trail head with some extra gear.
Here's what I suggest:

1. Get the basics in place (wiring, a new hitch if you are going that route).
  2. Research trailers.
  3. Rent what you think you want to buy and try it for a short haul.
  4. Repeat # 3 as needed until you find a trailer that works for you.

Skinny

It's a big debate because a large car hauler sometimes is approaching safe towin capacities without the car even on it. The large trailers are nice but by the time you put something large on it it's way too much. Gotta look at what you have. A good thing has already been mentioned, tongue weight. A small trailer may not give you the space to balance the load.

ODFever

Madness Takes Its Toll...
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Fully service your truck before towing anything. Have a trustworthy professional shop install a high quality (ie name brand) Class III hitch on your M1009. Have a professional shop install a trailer brake controller and wiring harness. There are numerous threads on trailer hitch installs. A quick search will give you a number of different options as to which hitch to install.

Last edited:

fitz

GroundedCLK, I just noticed your from NH. I'm in Mass 20 minutes south of Boston. When you get your hitch & brake controller installed feel free to come try out my trailer. We can put a car on it and see how the 09 handles it.
As Skinny pointed out, longer trailers allow you to move the load to adjust the tongue weight. The Big Tex DM70 is 18' long so there is plenty of room to adjust the load forward/back to get the desired tongue weight.

Skinny

I've used a few Big Tex trailers and they are very nice. You pay for the quality but it's worth it.

I have a Warn and Reese hitch on mine and I think they are built very well. I think you would be hard pressed to find one of poor quality if it's made for your truck. Those universal hitches are very scary!

Drock

Ironically, I also own ah M1028 and (2) 1966 mustangs. A fully optioned 65-66 mustang only weighs 2600lbs. Your 1009 should have no problem hauling this around.

Skinny

Should haul it

Making a tall geared underpowered truck pull a trailer that is longer than it with IMO rather terrible brakes in stock form may pull it fine on flat ground. You won't last a second doing that in central NH or through some tough PA passes. I guess it boils down to what you have, what you are willing to sacrifice (like speed and acceleration), and what is legal to the truck's placard. Personally, that is on the higher end of what I would want to do with an 09' if it's a rugged long trailer.