• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

cucv charging problem

D T

hoping for a little help ,went to start my m-1008,didnt seem like amp gauge needle was going up enough,not to the top of the green ,no smell in the truck ,opened hood and there was a electrical smell,I think the smell was coming from GEN 1. tried to touch alternator and it was very hot to the touch,so I turned the motor off and the dash lights stayed on even with the key off ,so I just undid the batteries and here I am beggin' for help,thanks

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
GEN1 needs a rebuild. Could be the bearings that caused the heat or the internal electrical parts.

With the GEN1 light staying on, the the electrical parts are toast.

The TM 9-2320-289-34 manual covers the teardown, inspection and rebuild of the alternator.

If you are handy with tools you can rebuild it yourself for ~$50 in parts or have it rebuilt for ~$100.

D T

I ll try that first ,I allready have the kit from the place you recomemded in Florida,at first the GEN 1 light came on ,but then it didnt come on, and when I turned the truck off the idiot lights all came on,but very dimmly,so I undid both batteries,the heat was from backwards electricity,not the bearrings,I had just started the truck,It all kinda happened on start-up,I noticed the gauge wasnt going all the way up.I usualy have to excite the alts,with a rev-up .thanks for the help

D T

you were right again,I had a guy rebuild it for me ,did a real nice job ,I havent rebuilt an alternator in years and years, he cleaned it in a viberatory cleaner. the bearings wouldnt even turn,and I guess the diode was shot,I ordered another rebuild kit from Florida,he has better quality parts and is cheaper than I could get them localy .I gave my rebuilder his phone number and I hope they can work together,thanks again Warthog

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Glad we could help out. What did he charge for the rebuild?

D T

@ 85 bucks,said if that was not the problem,he would help troubleshoot ,real decent people,Family run operation... Knapek's ...26 west 4th street ,Eureka,Ca.95501...(707)442-8774....nice shop ,old school test equipment, tested my alternator right in front of me as soon as I came in the door,cant say enough about this place ,they get all my electrical work from here on!!