• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV cheap headlight, great result

Barrman

One of my headlights burned up last month and I went to the auto parts store. My thinking was to find the cheapest halogen I could, put that in and then spend money on a set of the new super ultra whatever Bosch things that have the removable bulb and make the sun look dim once I could afford them.

Instead, I found a Sylvania silver star ultra halogen light in Oreillys for around $20.00. A base halogen was around $15. I could spare $5.00, so I got one. Amazing difference. It makes the other still normal halogen light look like a dim yellow glow. I changed the other light out last week.

I drove the M1009 a little over 500 miles the last few days. Almost 200 of those were out in the middle of nowhere in west Texas at night. Those lights made the night part better than driving my 2000 Suburban. Especially since we were in an area that deer are always on the road.

Not trying to sell light bulbs to anybody. Just wanted to pass on that for a lot less than I was thinking would have to be spent, I got great lights.

BIG_RED

I have sylvania "one step below yours" and they kick a$$ too. Mine are not ultra.. I wanna say "extravision"? They cost $16 at my parts store. Standard lights cost $12. Well worth the $8 a set in my opinion. I don't sell lights either. Good thread idea.

jacksmad1

I agree on the SilverStars....put a pair in mine about a week ago and they do light up the night for a decent price....got mine at O'reilly's too. Had to put in a new screw and self-locking nut because my driver's side adjuster stripped out.

Napoleon_Tanerite

i've got the silverstars in mine, made a HUGE difference. I do a lot of night driving to and from hunting spots before dawn and after dark, and there are a LOT of animals to see and avoid along the way.

K9Vic

I also have these in my M1009 and they make a big difference driving on some dark back roads at night. There are still allot of dark roads in North east Fort Worth that have no street lighting, so good headlights are a must. But what does such is my high beam switch broke so I only have low beams for now.

Blood_of_Tyrants

I agree on the SilverStars....put a pair in mine about a week ago and they do light up the night for a decent price....got mine at O'reilly's too. Had to put in a new screw and self-locking nut because my driver's side adjuster stripped out.

You can get the adjuster screws and plastic nuts at most any parts store. Just look in the section that has the door handles, window crank handles, etc.

natemccabe

I've installed a set of Hella 55w driving lights on my brush guard, wired to come on with the high beams, works great for those late trips down to Anchorage, I can see for about a 1/2 mile on straight stretches. I am now seriously considering replacing the low beams with these Sylvania head lamps now.

Barrman

No, if aimed correctly. The low beams are not blinding to traffic. I have yet to have anybody do the hi/low flip at me. Even when pulling a loaded M101 behind the M1009.

The high beams are what really rock in my opinion. They reach way far out there.

I also have these in my M1009 and they make a big difference driving on some dark back roads at night. There are still allot of dark roads in North east Fort Worth that have no street lighting, so good headlights are a must. But what does such is my high beam switch broke so I only have low beams for now.
Interesting, because mine (your old) switch broke too, but I'm stuck on high. Really not looking forward to delving into the steering column.

It's the actual pull in rod/wiper arm that is broken. For all I know, the switch could be good. I wonder if I could just bypass the column and install a manual high beam switch?

K9Vic

Interesting, because mine (your old) switch broke too, but I'm stuck on high. Really not looking forward to delving into the steering column.
Guess it is just one of those things that break, my M1009 just broke one day but I was lucky to be going from high to low. You can always swap the wires at the headlights to low beam. The plug opens easily just held on with plastic clips, so you can just swap the two wires so you have low beams again.

I was told by a friend that it is quicker to just change out the whole column, but still you have to find one. I located a 79 locally, but do not know if it is interchangeable.

EDIT: Oh I guess if you find the right wires you can always put in a bypass switch, I will look into that and post. Be allow quicker to do that then change a column or replace the wiper/turn/high-low switch.

rnd-motorsports

If the wiper and signals still work I have installed the older floor dimmer before not that hard and the switch is only like $6 just an idea. Just did it on a 98 dodge the owner didnt want to spend $280 from a dealer for a switch and couldnt find a used colume for fullsize Ram van 2cents

CUCV85

I been telling everyone that has these year trucks
to go with the Sylvania Silver Star
for the 20.00 each they cost Advance Auto Parts,
well worth they're weight in Gold!
You won't find a better Head Lamp Sealed
that is On Road Use.

One of my headlights burned up last month and I went to the auto parts store. My thinking was to find the cheapest halogen I could, put that in and then spend money on a set of the new super ultra whatever Bosch things that have the removable bulb and make the sun look dim once I could afford them.

Instead, I found a Sylvania silver star ultra halogen light in Oreillys for around $20.00. A base halogen was around $15. I could spare $5.00, so I got one. Amazing difference. It makes the other still normal halogen light look like a dim yellow glow. I changed the other light out last week.

I drove the M1009 a little over 500 miles the last few days. Almost 200 of those were out in the middle of nowhere in west Texas at night. Those lights made the night part better than driving my 2000 Suburban. Especially since we were in an area that deer are always on the road.

Not trying to sell light bulbs to anybody. Just wanted to pass on that for a lot less than I was thinking would have to be spent, I got great lights.

CROM

Thought I'd chime in with a light related option, though it won't be avaliable to you non Air Force AFREP types. Our F-16's are going though a series of upgrades out here. One upgrade is the installation of a newer, cooler taxiway light. The 'old' lights have a 250W bulb and run on 28 VDC. They are contained in a hardened steel case and even have a flat mounting bracket that accepts a 1/2" bolt, and are coded to be THROWN AWAY after replacement! Being in the electronics shop out here, I have the unique chance to procure a few for my off-road light bar. 24Volts lit them up very nicely. I'll send pics after I get it all done. :D