• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

cucv cranks slow

Buzz

ok guys I searched the threads and could not find anything so here goes, I bought a cucv through GL and picked it up a about a week and a half ago. After getting it home the batteries were both dead so I put a couple of used batteries in and after a few cranks and some wd40 she fired right up, I started it for a few days ( I could not drive yet no tags or title) I decided not to start it till I got some more batteries and do the doghead relay. I got some blem batteries form a battery guy who comes into our shop they are 31 series and I have tested them with a midtronics tester , one tested at 1100 cca and the other over 900. I also load tested both and neither dropped below 10 volts and I tested them 15-20 seconds.

Today I did the doghead relay and installed these batteries when I got done it would just barely crank (like a dead battery) I tested them again and they passed. I even put the old test batteries back in and the same thing, it cranks slow. I can feel the relay clicking, so now I am scratching my head:|

Any ideas? thanks for all your help in advance, this site is great.

Buzz

DokWatson

Check all your connections to the batteries and to the starter, clean them with a file or sand paper. If its getting good power and still not cranking, might want to get the starter tested or just replace it.

Good time to get the 28MT gear reduction starter, don't forget the proper bracket (GM 23502557) I got a refurbished starter off ebay for 95$ shipped.

Lurchwolf

I had nearly the same problem happen to my M1008. It ended up being that one brush wire broke inside the starter motor. I rebuilt it as a spare and got the 6.5 28mt starter, put that in, checked the wiring, fixed that, put in a relay for a tractor (doghead style) and repaired all the bad looking battery terminals. Now she cranks faster than she idles!

Buzz

ran out of daylight and it got cold out, I will try again tomorrow. thanks guys for the help. Dok I see your from Alaska, I was there from 87-89 at Fort Greely. A truly majestic state, man it gets cold. lol:p

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Remember, if it's rubber, replace it. If it's electrical, clean it.

Good catch.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks