• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV Dually

M1A96819

Okay........there is a local add here about a guy selling a CUCV Dually 4x4. I have not yet contacted the person and hesitant to do so. Asking 4000.00 with no photos available.

What are the Pro' and Con's in getting such a CUCV Dually?

What do I need to Look for and what are the best questions to ask?

Thanks in advance:D

Midnight Rider

Oh man, avoid it at all costs and to be safe you should PM me his contact information. 8)

I'd just stop by and take a look at it. Like ryan77 mentioned, if it is in decent shape it's probably worth that.

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If it's local you don't need photos, give him a call and go buy it.
A nice cucv dually m1028A3 I think it is, is usually on the north side of $5k here in the 48

Last edited:

JUNKYARDJOHN

Okay........there is a local add here about a guy selling a CUCV Dually 4x4. I have not yet contacted the person and hesitant to do so. Asking 4000.00 with no photos available.

What are the Pro' and Con's in getting such a CUCV Dually?

What do I need to Look for and what are the best questions to ask?

Thanks in advance:D
4x4 duallys are a unique vehical. I recently swapped a low milliage , big block, solid, 85 camper special LOADED civi. dually for a rusty 85 civi 4x4 dually, just because I wanted the drivetrain (sm465, np205, dana 60, 14 bolt ff with a nice frame) just to put under my 69 towtruck. (G.M. NEVER MADE A DUALLY 4X4 IN 1969) I turned down $3500 CASH several times for my old truck. (my 85) If your the least bit interested... by all means ... go look at it anyway. WHAT THE HECK ARE YOU WAITING FOR. GO.. GO.. GO..!! rofl JOHN

Last edited:

WARWAG

I would call him and make an appointment to see the vehicle. Show up early and see if he has it running. You want to see how the engine starts up cold. Look for leak spots and such. See how the transmission shifts when cold and of course after you've driven it long enough to warm everything up. Also make sure the transfer case is in working order and that the 4 wheel drive system is in good working order. On start up there will be a bit of smoke. After its warmed up the smoke should lessen. See how many miles are on it. For Hawaii I would suspect a very low Odometer reading. Also for Hawaii I would suspect some rust. Places to look are in the fender wells, floor pans and possible inside the bed depending on how "close" to the ocean she was stored at. You may have a NP 205 :mrgreen: in her as well and thats a HUGE plus! Of course they will be extremely low geared just as in all of the other CUCV trucks. Not sure if you know that. Have the owner take you for a spin and ask him if he has driven it on the highway allot. The engines shouldnt be driven above 55 mph ever with that low gearing and non over drive transmission. Not sure what else I can tell you other that I LOVE M1028A3 Duallies!

91W350

:drool: A dually has been on my :drool: list for quite some time. I keep telling myself I do not need one, but it does not help me much. :drool: Glen :drool:

nonpro

As WARWAG said slight smoke upon startup is common as oil leaks around the valve seals when the engine is sitting like overnight. You also want the the engine to get up to operating temp. 170+ degrees and listen for any engine noises as GM engines will start tapping or knocking once the reach operating temps. Good luck and hope it what you want.

ODdave

you guys seem to like duallies, would there be any interest in Dualy front hubs for the cucv's? I just picked up 3 dana 60 dually fronts yesterday and would gladly trade the hubs for srw's

M1A96819

Git-R-Done

Any updates M1A96819? :driver: Or are you just to busy cruising the beaches with your surf boards strapped to the top of your new CUCV Dually? :mrgreen:
WARWAG,

Whew........Busy......... the answer is a Yes with my Son's baseball practice and games this weekend (Assistant Coach). I will call 2mrrow morning and set up a time and date this week.

That would definitely be an ideal Snap Shot for any CUCV variant with a surfboard on strapped on the roof.[thumbzup]:driver:

Thanks for all replies and see what happens this week.

I will bring my camera and take pictures when I see her.:wink:

M1A96819

Phone Call

Called last night and left a message.

Called again this morning and CONTACT!! was made. Here Is what I know so far from the Phone call conversation.

This guy formally owned the CUCV Dually and is about the third owner. He is now selling it for his boss at work. The dually has about 11000 to 12000 miles and all gears shifts good and 4X4 locks up and good to go. This guys has a pretty good knowledge about the CUCV's and mentioned when asked that he does not drive it over 55 mph and is aware of the gear ratio at back. Front cab interior is basically like any other M1008 with the driver side bench seat ripped.

I have set up an appointment this week during working hours and if not able to make it during working hours,..........most definite try this weekend after the ball game.:driver:

M1A96819

Update

Nadas..............I made every attempt by phone calls and try to scheduled an appointment for this pass Saturday 4/2/11, the guy canceled due that his company boss was using the Dually. He said he will call me when hes ready, but that does not go with me to well. Its like telling me " Don't call us......We'll call you":twisted:

In discussing with this vehicle with my other half, as we both had discussion about me getting a CUCV vehicle and the choices I showed her, she rather have a CUCV M1009 Blazer in which is my first choice to begin with. That way the whole kit and kaboodle family of five will be able to ride in the M1009 while the wife smiling ear to ear driving.:driver:

CUCV M1009 Blazer

That being said, I'll see what happens this week to test drive and take photos if the guy is still going to sell .:roll:

WARWAG

A M1009 would make the perfect Beach Assault Vehicle! Of course the wife can lead the charge with the fam to the Beach while you and your son (not sure if you have a son but it sounds good) bring up the rear in the M1028A2 Dually hauling the Kalua Pig to feed the troops! Keep us posted!

OL AG '89

Hey M1,

The "guy" with the dually called me, somehow misplaced YOUR number...... I may have told him you moved to U.k. or China or ....can't remember????
He said he would ship to Texas for that price if the other "guy" he spoke to doesn't want the truck.....
better HURRY UP!!!:twisted:
If you Snooze you Looze......:jumpin:
roflrofl

tnttnt187

Hey M1, just reading through your post and I get a feeling you REALLY want a M1009 and if this guy is jerking your chain there might be something wrong with it. If and when you get a looksee at it, give it the old fine tooth comb. Other than that it sure would be a beast of a truck to own.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks