• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

cucv electric issue, charging rear battery.

mspector4235

Guess I'sm not the brightest bulb in the box. When I got my M1008 the red wire with 24 volts was taped up and disconnected from everything along with the little wire with the "20 fuse" link. I checked voltage, disconnected batteries, the reconnected the 12V red wire to the ground terminal on the alternator with the 24V (and little wire) to the batt terminal. Reconnected batteries and "touched" the 12V wire to ground terminal and !???! arc/spark. Just exactly where or what is "isolated" ground and is this some sort of insulator that is supposed to be inside the passenger side alt, making it able to pass the 24V :?:

I forgot to mention, I'm working on the passenger side alternator tryin to recharge rear battery.

CCATLETT1984

RE: Student Failed - CUCV Electrics 101, part 2

all isolated means, is the ground lug for the passenger alternator is "isolated" (not electrically connected) to the case of the alternator. It "sees" 12v from the drivers alternator as its ground, then adds its 12v to charge the rear battery. Thats the simple way of explaining it.

can you take a digital picture of the wires in question? It would help in diagnosis.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks