• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV engine replacement

Oldsouthernboy

I have "found" a cummings 6bt turbo thats in a running truck. I would like to know how hard (expensive) and modification (Bubba) would it be to replace the 6.2 with the cummings. Can the TH400 if up graded withstand the power and torque from the cummings engine? I know it will have to have a upgraded torque conveter. I know I will have to use the cummings cooling system and plan a to do full use of as much of the Cummings gear as I can. It is in a two wheel drive so I can not use the transmission unless I go to divorced transfer case. I hope the engine compartment is long enough or will I have do a body lift of a couple of inches? This truck also has AC and will replace the Radatior support with a AC unit and plan on a transplant if possible of the AC system or do a Vintage AC unit install. Plus have to have a GM Conveter to fit the engine, or so I have been told.

Gerehead8

First of all its Cummins not Cummings.

Second the TH400 will not simply bolt to the Cummins. You will need an adapter plate and they run about $1400 or you can find an adapter from a bread truck. I have heard many of them used the TH400 behind a Cummins (4bt or 6bt) but that some may have been angled oddly.

What vehicle is the motor going in?

What IP is on the 6bt? VE, P7100, or VP44

ultim8gamr

don't mean to hijack but I was wondering how easy the 6.5L swap is into these truck. I found another CUCV with a bad 6.2L. And have also found a 6bt cummins fairly affordably. Used to own a M1008 and would love another one. Been thinking about doing a swap like this

ODdave

I hope to put in my M1009, I know it is a 6 bt turbo non intercooled but no idea of the IP type. it is now in a dodge 1 ton flat bed truck with auto transmission.
non intercooled has to be ve pump, wouldnt even think about puting it in a 1009

P.S. 6bt's never came with the vp44.....The ISB used the vp44

Last edited:

moose1008

I have been looking into this as I have purchased a m1008 that does not turn over. hoping it is just a starter and not a locked up motor. anyway adaptors for the tranny you may want to check out destroked.com also i have found a company that has a whole new bolt in front crossmember it is avalanche engineering.com... I know the mechicanical injected 6bt's are pretty simple to work on much like the 6.2's.. I have a friend here in King that has installed one into a 77' f-250 and has been running it for a few years

Oldsouthernboy

If you can find a gm adapter, you can use your old transmission, change and fab engine mounts location. Two wire install, a hot wire for fuel shut off and one for starter. You may have to go to a electric fan instead of a factory fan due to length.