• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV Evaluation

iteration zero

Hey guys,

I've learned a lot by lurking on the forums and I'm ready to start fixing my M1031 that I just purchased. I have serious concerns though and was wondering if any Milwaukee-near members maybe would like to come over and check it out. The main issue is frame rust. I was underneath the rear of the truck last night installing a license plate bracket on the rear bumper and it was snowing rust. Larger chunks and finer pieces. Did I spend $2500 on a set of awesome axles, 6.2 diesel, a hood, and glass?

Regards,
i0

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Rust can always be fixed. If it's worth the effort is another story.
If nothing else, you could always put your M1031 specific things on a regular 1-ton in good shape.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Rust can always be fixed. If it's worth the effort is another story.
If nothing else, you could always put your M1031 specific things on a regular 1-ton in good shape.
Frame rust is hard to fix , except a new frame . It seems is style GM likes to rust through right in front of the front of the rear spring mount .

iteration zero

I think these are supermodel pictures...these areas don't look that good to the naked eye. The steel is flaking off like it's old, wet plywood that's delaminating. This is why I would like someone to pop on by and take a look at it with me.

glaser06

Personally, I'd get a wire brush/wheel/scraper, etc and a can of Rustoleum Rust Reformer (or if you have the $$$ Eastwood makes a great product as well). Knock all the heavy stuff off and coat is good with the spray then coat with a good spray paint (Rustoleum or similar) or undercoat. Stuff works wonders and unless you're able to poke through in places, I'd run the frame as-is.

iteration zero

Personally, I'd get a wire brush/wheel/scraper, etc and a can of Rustoleum Rust Reformer (or if you have the $$$ Eastwood makes a great product as well). Knock all the heavy stuff off and coat is good with the spray then coat with a good spray paint (Rustoleum or similar) or undercoat. Stuff works wonders and unless you're able to poke through in places, I'd run the frame as-is.
For an Overlander/Rock Crawling/Mudder rig? That was my initial plan for it. I might be able to get away with that as a work truck but would that fix hold up to trail abuse?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Look between parts riveted to the frame. Is rust expanding and pushing them off? Is the lip of the frame rusted down to a knife edge? If you see noneof that, you should be fine. M1008 frames pop up. Back halfing a 1031 with a donor frame would not be a seriously complicated project.

glaser06

Yeah, especially for that. It's unlikely to suffer a catastrophic failure, clean it up, do inspections regularly (as you would with any trail rig...i/e every time it goes out) and if it becomes an issue, repair it. If it's not, don't worry about it as that's a lot of work for something that may or may not be a problem. If you do have a failure, it will likely be a small crack that grows slowly at first then picks up speed as it gets bigger so detecting it early is key. A clean frame (even with slight pitting) is much easier to inspect than a dirty, rusty, nasty one where cracks could be hiding underneath the layers of rust.

After you clean it up you'll have a much better idea of the scope of the damage (as will we here on the other end of the screen). If it is a total loss after it's clean, at least you'll be real familiar with the bottom side of your truck (never a bad thing!) :D

glaser06

Look between parts riveted to the frame. Is rust expanding and pushing them off? Is the lip of the frame rusted down to a knife edge? If you see noneof that, you should be fine. M1008 frames pop up. Back halfing a 1031 with a donor frame would not be a seriously complicated project.
Also really good advice here ^^^

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Too bad you're a ways away. I should sell this practically rust free Suburban. Cheap, too, if I keep the engine, trans, x-fer case and axles.
Was going to make an M1007 of sorts, but it won't happen.DSCN0420[1].jpg