• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV flat towing tranny/transfer position.

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial
I am flat towing a M1009 home this week about 200miles. I am wondering what is the best gear to put the transmission and transfer case in. I am dropping the rear driveshaft no question along with unlocking the front hubs. The TM says to drop the front driveshaft if towing over 50 miles. I was discussing if it would be ok to not drop the front shaft. Would it be best to leave the tranny/transfer in neutral or put them in gear? I would think putting it in gear would be best, so that there is no chance of the transfer case front output shaft bearings having any chance of starving for oil. It was also suggested it was better to leave it in neutral. What do you guys think?

Also the CUCV does not take any funky wrench to get the driveshafts off right? Just the standard combination wrench to get in tight. Do you happen know the size off the top of your hear?
Thanks

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
No worries! With the front hubs confirmed unlocked and the rear driveshaft disconnected, tranny and transfer gear selection is irrelevant. Nothing will be moving. Just make sure the hubs unlock. No special wrench to remove the rear shaft. Enjoy, the ten-o-nin is one of the easiest vehicles to flat tow.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
To drag up an old thread . . . I have a 300 mile high speed M1031 flat tow coming up, why can't I put the transmission in park and the transfer (NP205) in neutral, unlock the hubs, and leave the rear driveshaft bolted up? Shouldn't all the oil in the transfer lube the few gears that are spinning?

Crash_AF

Should being the operative word. If Murphy pays a visit, it can get expensive in a hurry.

It's 4 bolts under the truck to yank the rear driveshaft which I don't find a particularly difficult job.

Later,
Joe

Reactions: NDT

transman

With a 205 case you will definatly want to remove the rear shaft ! a 1008 or 1009 with a 208 case you could get away with puttin the trans in park and the case in neutral as these units have an output shaft driven oil pump .However removing the rear shaft is quick easy insurance.

Reactions: NDT

2deuce

The last M1009 I brought home from Ft Lewis had the lockout hubs assembled so it was always engaged in 4x4 no matter how it was turned. I was curious if this was done on purpose or a mistake. If it was just 1, I thought it would have been a mistake but both were the same, so I think somebody wanted their 4x4 without getting out of the truck. Luckily I trailered this one home before I found out.

Greg