• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV for Search and Rescue in PA

mghopkins

Hello,

We got a CUCV with a PTO generator on it for Search and Rescue use. Was wondering if there was anyone local to PA that would be willing to help in a pinch with some guidance or anyone online that knows about these trucks.

So far it's been ok except we changed glow plugs and had to take the heads off to get fragments out. Now we're finishing that up and working with an inverter and making the 24vlt more friendly.

Here is a link to the truck here...

IMG_0322.JPG

Thanks in advance for any help.

Attachments

aebiv

Nice find! I can't say I can help with the whole PA thing since I'm on the other side of the country, but I will say most everyone on here is pretty quick and helpful about questions you can post on here.

I feel your pain on the glowplugs, that is why I change mine every year now. I just don't want to ever have to do that again.

If you don't mind me asking, what inverter are you using? I've been looking into doing that for awhile, but haven't seen a heavy duty inverter I like well enough.

Great lookin rig :beer:

mghopkins

Well we need 12 volt and don't want to run the PTO for every little thing so we've rigged it with two marine batteries in the back and a 3500w inverter that runs PC, lights, charger. It's a TripLite unit. We also have it set to jump the front off the rear batteries if we throw a switch.

gunboy1656

I will leave the experts to point you in the right direction, but I believe the only thing that uses 24V on the CUCV's is the glow plugs, everything else runs off 12V.

aebiv

Well we need 12 volt and don't want to run the PTO for every little thing so we've rigged it with two marine batteries in the back and a 3500w inverter that runs PC, lights, charger. It's a TripLite unit. We also have it set to jump the front off the rear batteries if we throw a switch.
Wow, didn't know TripLite made a unit that big, I'm going to have to look into that one then.

Using like a battery disconnect switch for the jumping?

I will leave the experts to point you in the right direction, but I believe the only thing that uses 24V on the CUCV's is the glow plugs, everything else runs off 12V.
GP's and the starter are 24v, but why some of us want an inverter, is to share a heavy electrical load across two batteries and two alternators instead of dragging the 12v side of the system down only.

ultim8gamr