• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cucv front camber adjustment how to

bp m1009

Ok so my 1009 has a lot of positive camber, so I decided to document the fix in case anyone else wants to do the same. Lots of people dont know that camber is adjustable on a solid front axle.

Tried to get some pics to show how positive my camber was, it was wearing the tires bad and causing cupping. To get a rough measurement of how off it was, I used a smart level I had, just to try and get a rough idea of what shims to order. This is the Passenger side and as you can see is about 1 degree positive. Factory spec is supposed to be 0 degrees. LOOK IN POST 7 FOR MISSING PICS

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg
First step is to remove the wheel, and take the caliper off
View attachment 428967
next remove the locking hub
View attachment 428968
Once you get the cover off you can start taking apart the actual locking hub assembly, remember how you take things apart, take pics if you have to.
8.jpg9.jpg10.jpg
11.1.jpg
theres a hidden clip that fits in the outter hub
12.jpg
then a c clip on the splined shaft
11.jpg
13.jpg
After you remove all the clips you can remove the basket

Last edited:

Skinny

I assume you are trying to put some type of shim between the spindle and steering knuckle. You can just buy an adjustable ball joint so you can dial in both camber and caster to a very limited amount on a straight axle. Be aware that if you are out of spec and both balljoints are ok, more than likely you have a bent housing which wouldn't uncommon for a 10-bolt.

bp m1009

OK got one side done. Here's the rest of the pics.
17.jpg
Youll need this special axle nut socket
18.jpg
theres an outer axle nut a lock washer/spacer and the inner axle nut
19.jpg
20.jpg
heres what it looks like with the nuts removed
21.jpg
after you remove the axle nuts you can slide the whole hub assm. and bearings off
22.jpg23.jpg
next remove the 6 bolts holding the spindle on
24.jpg25.jpg
then you can remove the spindle

Attachments

bp m1009

14.jpg15.jpg16.jpg
here is one of the shims, it may be hard to see but it has a taper to it, which gives you the camber angle.
26.jpg27.jpg
slide the shim on
28.jpg29.jpg
I tightened it down with a few of the bolts to seat the spindle back on
Once you do that your ready to re assemble everything.

30.jpg
Here is what i got after the shim install, close enough

bp m1009

I assume you are trying to put some type of shim between the spindle and steering knuckle. You can just buy an adjustable ball joint so you can dial in both camber and caster to a very limited amount on a straight axle. Be aware that if you are out of spec and both balljoints are ok, more than likely you have a bent housing which wouldn't uncommon for a 10-bolt.
Those adj. ball joint sleeves aren't that great, they will rotate and move on their own after a while and you'll be back to square one. I like this method better.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Tire sidewalls aren't always true. Look at the Michelins and you can see the ripple. Would you have better served yourself to measure off the wheel mounting surface? Just thinking out loud.

K9Vic

Sorry to nitpick, but you really need to rotate your pictures before you post them, or take them correctly with your camera. There are many freeware programs that will rotate images, especially on the iPhone & Android phones. It is very difficult to see them when they are sideways or upside down. You can also arrange your pictures in any order before you post them, or go back to old pictures and repost them.

bp m1009

Sorry to nitpick, but you really need to rotate your pictures before you post them, or take them correctly with your camera. There are many freeware programs that will rotate images, especially on the iPhone & Android phones. It is very difficult to see them when they are sideways or upside down. You can also arrange your pictures in any order before you post them, or go back to old pictures and repost them.
Live and learn. Honestly I didnt even really think or realize that all my pics are sideways lol. Im not sure how they got like that, I didnt take them sideways.