• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV fuel filter base with wiring

GM72K10

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Any one know of any one who sells the COMPLETE fuel filter base WITH wiring? My M1009 is missing the fuel filter and the wiring, I have one from a Civv 6.2 but the wiring is different. It looks like the set on the CUCV filter has a wire that goes to the water in fuel solenoid, the middle one goes to the fuel pressure switch and the top wire is for "fuel heater:? Will the truck run without any of these wires hooked up? thanks

Michael

Yes it will run without any of these. Some people replace the stock filter with an after market filter. The heater is to prevent ice.

n1vbn

The truck will run even when you replace the Stanadyne 80 series fuel filter assembly with something else. I've seen CUCV's with civilian fuel filters mounted with clear plastic water bowls and drains on the bottom.

The heater is to insure fuel movement in very cold weather.

The pressure switch is for diagnostic use only.

The water sensor is to let you know there is water in the filter before it shuts you down.

a civilian Stanadyne 80 filter mount will work fine except for no fuel pressure switch.

jimm1009

I just replaced my fuel filter with a New unit purchased off of e-bay. It was about 74.00 with shipping. It is the real CUCV filter assembly but this one did not have the pressure sensor installed. It looks like they may have done away with that. The round base is cast into the filter housing but the port is not drilled. I changed my unit because of air leaks and it works fine but has only been installed for three days but no more air leaks...YEAH!

Jim

GM72K10

Steel Soldiers Supporter
jimm1009 said:
I just replaced my fuel filter with a New unit purchased off of e-bay. It was about 74.00 with shipping. It is the real CUCV filter assembly but this one did not have the pressure sensor installed. It looks like they may have done away with that. The round base is cast into the filter housing but the port is not drilled. I changed my unit because of air leaks and it works fine but has only been installed for three days but no more air leaks...YEAH!

Jim
Jim,
Did the ebay seller have more or a store? thanks

tomc

Water in fuel indicator

On the same line I have a good question. Can the water in fuel light come on for any other reason besides water in the fuel? We ran my 1010 about half way from Alabama to TN running two tanks of fuel through it and the water in fuel light came on. Do not think that there is any water in the fuel??

TomC

jimm1009

There are two ways for the light to come on. #1 water in the fuel filter causing current to flow thereby closing the switch and turning the light on. #2 is for the wires to be chafed externally to the filter and shorting together which is not very likely.
These switches are very sensitive and it does not take much to set them off.
Did you drain the filter base with the engine running? Drain very slowly or the engine will die. There is a capped-off line coming out of the fuel tank on the right rear side of the truck. This is to suck out the water in the tank if it accumulates there. I had this happen once and used an air-powered varsol gun to suck out about 1/2 gallon of fuel & water.
I then ran some fuel conditioner through the system and the water was gone.
JIm

tomc

Water In Fuel Indicator

Thanks Jim,

Found the manual version to drain the filter right after posting before. Just waiting for it to stop raining cats and dogs and will go see if it works. Do not mind being hit by the cats but the large dogs tend to hurt.

Tom

GM72K10

Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Water In Fuel Indicator

If any one is looking for the filter base complete try
Neosho Surplus Auto Parts. thanks jimm1009.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks