• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cucv fuel filter replacement or not?

Indyharleyguy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've had my M1009 for a year now. No starting problems even in the dead of winter in Indiana. I'm sure Block heater helps that.
Here's my question. I've read you should replace the fuel filter every 2 years. Not sure when it was replaced last but have been told the Doc that had it in Lafayette IN did a great job maintaining it. I've bought the filter but should I tackle replacing it or wait since it runs great.
Thanks for all suggestions.

tbearatkin

Pitch that stock setup & install a spin on.
Ditto this, stock is okay but you need to bleed all the air out of it after you put the new one on. Mine had a plastic tube on the side that I could put in a container to get all the air out. After my second filter change the base started leaking so I changed it all out to a spin on filter. So much easier now. Take the old one off. Put some clean diesel in the new filter and spin it on. Takes about 10 min now

ssdvc

Also, you can fill the stock filter with fuel too and although it won't be 100% full, it does make starting it easier.

Skinny

I think that you should be comfortable changing your own fuel filter as it may leave you stranded with a bad batch of fuel. Always good experience, do it just for the fun!

I will advise to anyone especially on a diesel with only one filter is to NOT fill the filter before installation. You want the fuel to enter the filter through the media. It may take a little longer to prime but better safe than sorry. If you are changing a pre-filter on an engine that has an on engine filter, then it is no big deal.

cucvrus

I will advise to anyone especially on a diesel with only one filter is to NOT fill the filter before installation.

Please do tell. Why would that even matter if you are putting clean fuel into the filter? I am asking if you have a valid reason for stating this. I never do put fuel in mine but still do not understand what harm it would do if I did. Clean fuel from a known clean container. Happy Holidays.indexgrinch smiling..jpg

Skinny

Because a diesel system is sensitive to particles down to a few microns in size. I'm not sure about you but clean looking fuel could be full of these even if it looks good. If the engine has an on engine filter its no big deal because they will be caught by that particular filter. On the CUCV, you only get one unless you have done something different. Priming it with the engine fuel pump makes all of the fuel go through the filter media.

cucvrus

I don't fill my filters before install. To messy. But I can't imagine pumping fuel at a fuel station into a clean can and then pouring it into the filter is going to effect anything. If you have dirty fuel cans and are not clean with your tools and fuel cans. Yes then I see the point. But I would say. Just do it the way it is outlined in the GM manual and everything is well. I never gave it that much thought. Happy Holidays.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Fwiw, The human eye can see down to around 30-40 microns.

If you have a 10 micron filter(for example), you cannot see the particles that the filter would stop.

That's why you don't prefill the filter with unfiltered fuel.