• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

cucv fuel filter

rue_69

I have been lurking on SS for quite a while now and I thought I would contribute. I bought a M1028 last year with the intentions of driving it and restoring it at the same time. I quickly found out that the truck was a severe pain to start for multiple reasons: 1. glow plug card went bad 2. Air in the fuel lines 3. Bad glow plugs.

The glow plug problems were easily fixed with some new plugs and a push button switch as opposed to that faulty controller. The air in the fuel turned out to be a little more difficult. I read multiple threads on here about the leaking problems that the stock filter has, so I decided to install an aftermarket spin on type filter. The filter housing setup I purchsed is from a company called Racor and the model is a 490R. This setup has 3/8" lines, a primer and an air bleed. Perfect. Whats even better is that it bolts directly in place of the stock filter setup using the OE firewall holes. While I was at it, I ran new lines from the tank forward and then also new line from the filter to the IP. I also decided to install an in line electric fuel pump from a 94 6.5 TD. It works awesome. Starts right up everytime and runs great. :beer: Here is some pics:

stuinnh

Sounds like you had a bad fuel pressure switch located in the filter base. It will seem like air in the fuel lines. I had the same problem. First I replaced the fuel pump. Then I had injector pump rebuilt. Next put in check valve in fuel line, and finally installed electric fuel pump. Oh, also replaced O rings in filter base, and fuel heater in base. In the end, $10 switch. Replaced it and it started like new truck even at 0 degrees.

rue_69

Well, I know I had air in the lines because I had to bleed it off repeatedly. Now, with the electric fuel pump, this is not a problem anymore.

ralbelt - the filter actually wasn't too bad. I picked it up on an auction on EBAY for $54.00. The electric pump and braided line were pretty expensive, but I'm sure somebody could save some $$ by using rubber line.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks