• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV Fuel Problem

AZDeuce

I need Help!

My CUCV has been down for two weeks I cannot get her to start, she ran real rough, and surged, but got me home about 10 miles if I stayed around 30-40 MPH. The next morning she would not start - even with starting fluid - it's okt he glow plugs are broke. (fried years ago)

Reading posts here, I changed the fuel filter, and a couple of the return lines that go from injector to injector, still no joy.

Today I tried to bleed the fuel filter housing, by loosening the black plastic screw on top, I got a litle stream of fuel (maybe 4 ") then nothing but spittng, and foam!

I had my friend crank the starter for over 20 seconds 2 times, (after letting it cool) and still nothing but foam.....

What in the world is wrong with this thing?

Thanks for your help!

kurtze99

I would check the fuel pump and for holes in fuel lines on the suction side if you are not getting fuel to the filter. I have found on the older diesels with a mechanical fuel pump that it saves a lot of headaches to put an electric fuel pump in the frame as close to the tank as possible. Helps to find pin holes in fuel lines, aids bleeding and makes for easier starting. Just my opinion.

Hopefully you've checked the obvious. :idea:

If you have a MityVac pump, you can use that plus the jar to suction fuel through the filter at the bleed point. Doing this saves your starter. I take the fuel filler cap off to make sure I'm not trying to suction from all the way inside the return lines.

From the description of the problem, I suspect a leak in the supply line coming from the tank, possibly combined with a blockage in the line.

A quick and dirty way to test for leaks is to get a spare filler cap, drill a hole in for a standard air fitting, and use a compressor to raise the pressure in the tank by a small amount. You don't want a whole lot of air in there, 5 psi or so is enough. Presto, anywhere the lines leak, you now have dribbles.

I'm not somewhere I can access my copies of the TMs, but I'm sure someone else will be along to direct you to the relevant section.

tourdog

sounds real dumb but are you real sure you have fuel in tank i would try putting 10 gal in just to be real sure try simple simple first then move on . but might have lots of water .try cranking with little starting fliuld to see if fires .

AZDeuce

Yes, I have fuel in the tank, I tried to siphon it out with no joy, but the hose comes out wet for almost 2 1/2 -3 feet. I wonder if there's gas in the diesel so I was going to syphon it out, and put it in my Deuce, but I can't get it to syphon. What in the world!!??

I like the idea of adding an electrical fuel pump. Since the vehicle is half 24V & half 12V I guess I could get a civilian elec pump and be good.....correct?

IF, I add an electric pump can I push the fuel though the old mechanical pump, or will i need to disconnect the lines, and add a piece of hose to by-pass the mechanical pump?

As mentioned previously. I've tried to start it with starter fluid, and it rattled very lightly but did not run on it, even for a few seconds - this is one of the reasons I am wary of the fuel. about 4 years back the truck had similar symptoms I kept trying to start with starter fluid, until I BLEW up the engine -don't want to do that twice! Turned out I had filled it up with gas......DOH! It was VERY obvious when I drained some fuel. This fuel doesn't smell quite right, but I don't get a distinct gas smell either - so I'd rather error on the side of caution and get all the fuel out of it, and replace it with diesel that isn't suspect. - Just to be sure.....

I wish I new why I can't siphon the fuel. I bought a siphon pump which seems to work, and I tried sticking a hose down the filler pipe, but I only suck air, no fuel, but yet when I pull the hose out it's wet for a good 2 1/2 feet of more...what in the world?

I like the idea of pressurizing the tank, does anybody have an extra gas cap?

I went through a similar incident 4 years ago, but I can't remember all the tricks I tried, so thanks for those suggestions. If somebody can tell me whether I need to by-pass the mechanical pump if I hook up an electric pump near the tank, let me know.

Thanks - AZ Deuce

kurtze99

You can usually find 12v 0r 24v elec. fuel pumps from a good auto supply. I usually bypass the mech. pump but u can usually pump through it. Can cause problems down the road going through it though.

maritimer

your siphon hose might be picking itself up out of the fuel supply in the tank when you try to siphon, check around your fuel pump if the motor mount on the passenger side has let go *a common thing i have noticed on these* the pump drops about an inch and squishes the inlet line which in turn punctures it causing air to get in and sputter/stall your engine then you cant start it again. i replaced to perfectly good fuel pumps and spent 2 weeks trying to hunt down the exact same syptoms lol fikxed the motor mount and replaced the hose and viola no more problems

AZDeuce

Thanks for the tips, I'll check the motor mount. Wierd stuff that is NEVER addressed in a manual, is usually the kind of problems I always encounter. A broken motor mount crushing the fuel line, sounds like the kind of stuff that fits in that catagory!

As to the siphon hose, my wife mentioned that also, "why not pull it part way out then try to siphon it?"......DOH! Sometimes you get so frustrated you can't see the forest for the trees.

Thanks

PS I'll post here if I get her fixed........or, if I still come up empty (I hope not!)

AZDeuce

UPDATE 02-16-09

Well, I'm a moron..........it turns out I ran her out of fuel, it cost me $185.00 to figure that out..........but at least I (eventually) figured it out. The money went for a NAPA electric fuel pump, and hoses and clamps. I tried pumping out the tank, but nothing came out, and the pump was clicking away. I dumped a 5-gal GI can of diesel into her, and within a few seconds the fuel pump quieted down, I knew that was a good sign, then the fuel came streaming out!

After hooking up all the lines, I wired up the fuel pump so it starts when you turn on the ignition. bled the fuel filter using the, pump, then bled the injectors while my wife cranked her over. I jumped the CUCV with my Deuce so as not to wear down the batteries as I knew excessive cranking would be neccessary.

After that was done I gave her a small shot of starting fluid while my wife cranked her, and she fired right up. - Don't be alarmed by the starting fluid I've been using it for over 4 years since the glow plugs died, with NO issues. NEVER use starting fluid if you glow plugs work...very bad mojo!

Anyway she's up and running again.

Mongo Happy

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks