• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cucv Fuseable link help

marbaja252

1986 1 ton, not modified. Was driving truck fine lost power gauges went haywire died on the side of the road horn going off battery terminal melted down pulled off terminals towed home.

Replace melted terminal hooked up with two fresh batteries blew the fusible links blue wires at the breakout box on the firewall and by a glow plug solenoid what's wrong need help guys.

What caused this? Where do I start looking. Not a wiring guy. Thanks for any guidance.

Attachments

jcollings

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I guess your Thanksgiving didn't go so good, Based on the visual of your burned up wiring.
Time for some investigation.
Maybe originated on your main terminal block , there something going to ground possibly ,
I'm just guessing.
Good luck.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

marbaja252

I guess your Thanksgiving didn't go so good, Based on the visual of your burned up wiring.
Time for some investigation.
Maybe originated on your main terminal block , there something going to ground possibly ,
I'm just guessing.
Good luck.

May have to seek some professional help on this. Don't want to burn this thing down it's very nice truck. 55k miles no rust.

jcollings

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know my truck there was a lot of fuses that were incorrect. A Lot of 20 & 30 that should have been 10 and 15.
My head light fuse shows signs of heat, Possibly for all the headlight driving that occurs in the military.
Time to get a meter out and check for continuity, finding that ground/shorted wire.

Curtisje

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Damn... the blue wires that you fried look like they are part of the glowplug system. Your card may have gone bad?

Also, I had fried a few fusible links a while back. Had a hard time figuring it out. No start because of dead batteries,...replaced batteries and fried fusible links...etc, etc. Turns out a packrat chewed through my 24v cable to the starter which shorted to the frame and fried both alternators.

Trace your large cables and check for grounding/shorting to the frame.

I'm certainly no expert here but I hope this helps.

Good luck.

marbaja252

I know my truck there was a lot of fuses that were incorrect. A Lot of 20 & 30 that should have been 10 and 15.
My head light fuse shows signs of heat, Possibly for all the headlight driving that occurs in the military.
Time to get a meter out and check for continuity, finding that ground/shorted wire.

Will check them, my 1009 I just sold had plenty of fuse block problems. Thx

marbaja252

Damn... the blue wires that you fried look like they are part of the glowplug system. Your card may have gone bad?

Also, I had fried a few fusible links a while back. Had a hard time figuring it out. No start because of dead batteries,...replaced batteries and fried fusible links...etc, etc. Turns out a packrat chewed through my 24v cable to the starter which shorted to the frame and fried both alternators.

Trace your large cables and check for grounding/shorting to the frame.

I'm certainly no expert here but I hope this helps.

Good luck.
Calling in a mechanic friend to help. I'm no wiring guy. I have all the books to trace things out. Crazy how fast it happed. Only got 1 mile from the house. Thank you.

cucvrus

I am thinking the main power wire running to the starter has grounded out and may be worn/burnt or shorted at the starter. Disconnect that cable at the buss bar and see if you problem still exists. I seen some shabby main starter cable attachments many times. That key slot on the main starter cable was put there for a reason. Report back. My safety check will take about 5 minutes.

Keith_J

Electrical test of the starter is necessary. The only wires capable of melting a battery terminal post are starter and NATO port. Also check communication kit wiring, if truck has it.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
No matter how nice the truck, it’s still over 30 years old.
Internal corrosion of the wire(s) might have been the issue.
Corrosion adds resistance which equals heat.

Wire can look brand new on the outside, but be corroded internally.

After reading the other good ideas, that’s the only thing that came to mind.

marbaja252

Electrical test of the starter is necessary. The only wires capable of melting a battery terminal post are starter and NATO port. Also check communication kit wi
ring, if truck has it.
Yes it still has the com wiring, may remove it and inspect.

Starter was new 9 months ago, but will check those cables.

Horn was going off all by it self when this happened, if NATO cables have shorted may be there in grill area.

Thank you for getting me started.

marbaja252

I am thinking the main power wire running to the starter has grounded out and may be worn/burnt or shorted at the starter. Disconnect that cable at the buss bar and see if you problem still exists. I seen some shabby main starter cable attachments many times. That key slot on the main starter cable was put there for a reason. Report back. My safety check will take about 5 minutes.
I'm on it. Thank you. Will check out this week
I'm on it thank you

cucvrus

Also keep in mind the main power cable had a cable clamp holder and a clip on the oil pan that held it away from getting in harms way. I mean at this point in time it could be anything. But I think that is where your problem is. Has the starter been off recently? Is the support bracket in place? Not that the bracket would cause the issue but if the starter got stuck out in the flywheel for a time it could create some heat. Good Luck. Here to help. Anything you find take a picture of and we can all help be proactive. Be Safe.

marbaja252

Also keep in mind the main power cable had a cable clamp holder and a clip on the oil pan that held it away from getting in harms way. I mean at this point in time it could be anything. But I think that is where your problem is. Has the starter been off recently? Is the support bracket in place? Not that the bracket would cause the issue but if the starter got stuck out in the flywheel for a time it could create some heat. Good Luck. Here to help. Anything you find take a picture of and we can all help be proactive. Be Safe.
New starter installed went to a 28MT and installed correct support bracket. Getting these blue fusable links fixed could be fun. Will inspect and take pictures. Thank you agian.

jcollings

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah here's a fusible link that I repaired . you never know what you find underneath this some tape

marbaja252

Thank you, I am sure there is hope and a fix for this. Just got my bubble popped on my great truck find. She has been running great since I installed the new starter 9 months ago. Was getting reved up to get the lift installed. Now back to fixing stuff.

marbaja252

The short has been found. Anyone else out there with communication cables and not using them better check their location and remove.

Will be looking the rest of my cables over just to make sure but who would have thought it would have made contact with the troop seat.

Now the wiring repairs must start.

Attachments

jcollings

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice arc welding......
Glad you found it, Have a great evening.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks