• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV Glitch

Jersey4x4

Ok, I have known about this glitch for awhile and just have not cared enough to post but here goes. If I ground the rivet holding the volt gauge n the dash(either side) the volt gauge will read battery voltage. Is this normal? The key does not have to be on or anything. I found this by accident when the gauge was touching the dash due to a insulating spacer falling out and every time I got in the truck the gauge would move. Now if I need to check battery voltage I just use a screw driver from the gear selector to the rivet and instant voltage reading. I have had other CUCVs before but never checked to see if they all were like this one (85 M1008) Anyway, just a thought.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just went out and tried it with mine. No go. Nothing, nodda, zip, zilch.

Anubis8472

Interesting .... if not 'normal' then perhaps one of the terminals on the backside is bent or in some way contacting the housing where it shouldn't.

I really don't want to try mine. I recently shorted mine out while tinkering with the dash panel. (accidently bumped the dash with one of the terms, didn't realise the volt meter was mounted on the panel)
Thankfully it just blew the fuse, a new 10A and it works fine.

My fist thought was "Oh man, why the heck didn't I pull the batt cables first" after it came back to life I feel like I 'got away with one'.

Does the gauge illumination light work normally?

Last edited:

Jersey4x4

Interesting .... if not 'normal' then perhaps one of the terminals on the backside is bent or in some way contacting the housing where it shouldn't.

I really don't want to try mine. I recently shorted mine out while tinkering with the dash panel. (accidently bumped the dash with one of the terms, didn't realise the volt meter was mounted on the panel)
Thankfully it just blew the fuse, a new 10A and it works fine.

My fist thought was "Oh man, why the heck didn't I pull the batt cables first" after it came back to life I feel like I 'got away with one'.

Does the gauge illumination light work normally?
I know nothing n the gauge is touching because I insulated and used shrink wrap on everything. Could there be a wire wrong on an alternator causing this issue? I have gone over everything with a fine tooth comb and it all looks good according to the diagrams. It is not causing any issues it was just a weird fluke thing I thought of today and was curious if anyone else had a gremlin in there truck.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks