• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV Glow Plugs

trooper632

I have a 1028 and a 1008. The 1028's glow plugs have a bullet type connecting end and the 1008 has the spade type glow plug. are they the same plug except the connecting ends. Having a hard time finding the bullet type end. I need 3 for the 1028

CenterMass762

The glow plugs in the 1028 sound like 15G HMMWV glow plugs. The ones on the 1008 are probably AC Delco 13G or 60G.

The 60Gs are arguably the best glow plugs as they don't tend to swell as much. You can easily clip the ends of the wires and install whatever connectors you desire.

Last edited:

trooper632

The glow plugs in the 1028 sound like 15G HMMWV glow plugs. The ones on the 1008 are probably AC Delco 13G or 60G.

The 60Gs are arguably the best glow plugs as they don't tend to swell as much. You can easily clip the ends of the wires and install whatever connectors you desire.
So the cucv and HMMWV plugs are basically the same except for the connection ends?

CenterMass762

So the cucv and HMMWV plugs are basically the same except for the connection ends?
There have been a lot of arguments over that question, but the consensus around here is no, they're not the same. There are data sheets from the manufacturer floating around that say they're both designed to operate at ~12v and they're just marked "24v" for the application, but I haven't dug into the argument much.

Regardless, 60Gs are better so that's what I would, and do, use.

Out of curiosity, how did the 1028 start with those glow plugs?

Last edited:

trooper632

There have been a lot of arguments over that question, but the consensus around here is no, they're not the same. There are data sheets from the manufacturer floating around that say they're both designed to operate at ~12v and they're just marked "24v" for the application, but I haven't dug into the argument much.

Regardless, 60Gs are better so that's what I would, and do, use.

Out of curiosity, how did the 1028 start with those glow plugs?
with no issuses, I've had the truck for about 10 years or so, but its been parked for about 5 years, the IP pump went bad and I just parked it until this week. Decided to take it to a mechanic to fix it and he aslo told me that 3 glow plugs were bad, he said he would replace them but was having a hard time finding the one with the round bullet end connectors, I said it should have the spade end but he sent me a picture of them. I bought the truck from Rion Planet and picked it up from Ft. Hood years ago, never had to replace the glow plugs.

trooper632

If you want me to muddy the waters a little more, here's a HMMWV troubleshooting manual from the AM General training department saying the HMMWV glowplugs are 12v. (Emphasis is mine)
he asked me if i wanted to replace them with 12v plugs and i said i did not so now i dont know, guess i need to look at it. I know years ago i did the push button mod to activate the plugs myself

CenterMass762

with no issuses, I've had the truck for about 10 years or so, but its been parked for about 5 years, the IP pump went bad and I just parked it until this week. Decided to take it to a mechanic to fix it and he aslo told me that 3 glow plugs were bad, he said he would replace them but was having a hard time finding the one with the round bullet end connectors, I said it should have the spade end but he sent me a picture of them. I bought the truck from Rion Planet and picked it up from Ft. Hood years ago, never had to replace the glow plugs.
Good info, thank you.

If you want to keep running them, AC Delco 15G or Wellman DRX00115 is what you're looking for. They're not self-regulating, though, and they tend to swell.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks