• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV gun trucks?

linx310

On govliq a lot of the M1009s I have been looking at have a giant circle hole cut in the back of them in the roof.

Did they do this so some one could stand up and shoot out of the top of it? Also it looks like there is some type of electrical plugs near it to.

Here is a pic

Last edited:

Bettendorf

On govliq a lot of the M1009s I have been looking at have a giant circle hole cut in the back of them in the roof.

Did they do this so some one could stand up and shoot out of the top of it?
Hey, linx310. I see Gunsnet is still down. I have never seen a CUCV used as a gun truck but I'd be interesting in the idea. You still got a M1919?

linx310

Hey, linx310. I see Gunsnet is still down. I have never seen a CUCV used as a gun truck but I'd be interesting in the idea. You still got a M1919?
Yeap i still got it...though its going to go on my restored M38A1.

I am looking at either a M1009 or M1008 to tow a trailer with my M38A1 on it to long distance shoots.

Castle Bravo

Hundredaire Socialite
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I once saw a Forest Service M1009 that had a seat in the back on a swivel, with a bubble canopy sticking up through the roof. There was also a telescope mounted on a track and it could swivel around to look in all directions. It looked kinda like a gun turret, but I imagine it was for observation. Maybe forest fire spotting?

REGULATOR

Noticed the seat was pushed back as well, giving someone a place to stand..

interesting..

who knows, maybe some unit had a CO that wanted to stand in the hatch with his binos?

could have been for training, does the outside look normal?

linx310

who knows, maybe some unit had a CO that wanted to stand in the hatch with his binos?

could have been for training, does the outside look normal?
Yea the outside looks normal. But there are like 10-15 of them like that so I dont think it would just be for a CO.

They all have these markings on the back though (the squares with orange and yellow.

REGULATOR

looking at the way they did the paint, like they sanded squares off the sides and hood, I can only guess that they were used for training, possibly OPFOR for a training center.. maybe one thats near the location where they are at...

be a quick and cheap way to simulate enemy vehicles.. and have someone in the "hatch" with a m60 or something similar with a bipod etc..

Mudstone

that truck is from germany... it's a 1st Armor Truck... where is it? do you have a better pic of the rear end i might be able to find out what unit it was?

pwrwagonfire

I once saw a Forest Service M1009 that had a seat in the back on a swivel, with a bubble canopy sticking up through the roof. There was also a telescope mounted on a track and it could swivel around to look in all directions. It looked kinda like a gun turret, but I imagine it was for observation. Maybe forest fire spotting?
Thats REALLY interesting....don't suppose you've got a picture of it?

Mudstone

yellow and red placards are indeed germany... i think the white boxes may be part of the LARS? gear. whatever the replacement was for the old MILES. either way i would support the theory that these are training trucks and more than likely at graf. or possibly hohnfels?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks