• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV head gasket / head/ or change engine survey

cucvrus

I used a semi gloss BBQ grille paint on the block and heads. And I used a brown flat BBQ grille paint on the exhaust manifolds. The injector lines I painted with a gold Krylon spray paint. I did a blue on the motor mounts and a red on the transmission cooler lines. Just for detail. Thank you for the compliments. Did you get any M1009 wheels yet?

Mg84648

No not yet. I've been waiting on a price with shipping quote from the guy for a while now but its fine. Like you say, this is really just a hobby for us so I'm not worried about it, I'll eventually get a pair of rims. Trust me, I've got plenty to keep me busy in the mean time.
Your truck looks great!

cucvrus

wanted to show you the Torx 40 5/16" bolts I have been using when I reassemble the CUCV's. They are new and self centering. They just are easier to use and I can put them in with the cordless screw gun with ease.004.jpg

cucvrus

Strange thing happened today. Well not strange but different. I was in my garage as usual by myself sweeping the floor and cleaning up. Something I do every Sunday after church. I was just about done and I heard a piece of metal hit the floor and roll around. I yelled hey ha ha. No one was there. I walked over to the passengers side and laying on the floor was a bottom cab mount washer.001.jpgIt was laying on the floor and the bottom rubber was next to it. I stooped down and looked up and saw it was the front cab mount from the mule right under the brake pedal. Interesting. I thought that's nice. I bet that bolt will be fun to get out. I sprayed PB Blast and put the cordless 3/8" Snap On impact on the bolt. I hammered it back and forth and sprayed it again. I left it sit and went outside and mowed some grass. I came back every once in a while and hammered on it with the impact back and forth. About 2 hours later I decided it was time to get ugly with this thing. So I put the 1/2" Snap on cordless impact to it. That was a breeze. The bolt came right out. I gave it thought about the cage 002.jpgnut breaking loose in the body. It did not. 004.jpg003.jpgThe bolt was not really as bad as I had imagined it to be. I dug around in my bins and found a new cab washer from back in the day when these type of trucks were new. 005.jpgI put a 1/2" grade 8 bolt and some pure nickel never seize on the bolt and drove it in tight. I thought about changing them all but just decided to check them all. They were all good. Strange. I sprayed some undercoating on the new front inner fender aprons. That was about all I completed on the Mule today. More grass to mow and ribs to cook. 006.jpgThe right apron was from a Youpullit score yesterday. I cut out for the quad shock and the other left one is a Genuine GM restoration part. Made in Taiwan. Sorry I had to say it. Genuine GM restoration part made in Taiwan. Thank you for looking. I must move on to Mr Rusty the rest of the day.

Last edited:

cucvrus

010.jpg011.jpg012.jpg013.jpg014.jpg015.jpg016.jpg017.jpg018.jpgToday i got out the rear roof section and reattached it to the super structure of the Mule. It is sanded and if all goes well this vehicle will be painted on Saturday AM. Thank you for looking. The left side and the rear is all sanded.

cucvrus

006.jpg007.jpg008.jpg009.jpg011.jpgBoth inner fender aprons installed this evening and the right side and complete roof was sanded. 010.jpgI am trying for the complete paint on Saturday AM. Thank you for looking. I think I am boring you guys at this point.

fitz

It's not boring to me.
I look forward to seeing the progress that you & others make on your projects.
My M1028 is a daily driver that so far has just required the normal maintenance to keep it going strong.
Someday hopefully I'll take on a restoration project.
Keep the updates coming.

german m1008

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ditto.
My M1008 is also a dayli driver.
@ cucvrus, your posts are interesting and always helpful.
Let me say, thank you.
You work all day and after that you got the time to post it all.

Last edited:

cucvrus

001.jpg010.jpg009.jpg008.jpg007.jpg006.jpg005.jpg004.jpg003.jpg002.jpg011.jpgI have it all taped up and ready for paint tomorrow AM. I want to get it painted early in the AM to avoid the heat of the day. I will spray it with epoxy white sealer. I am top coating it 686 tan Sherwin Williams CARC. It is the single stage CARC. A lot easier to spray then the Niles Chemical Paint. That is 2 part CARC. Thank you for looking. I have the cowl covered to prevent the paint from getting on my black plastic cowl screen. The cowl and the front lower valance have already been painted. I should have painted the D ring attaching tubes but I over looked them. They will be painted tomorrow also. Along with Mr Crusty's left fender inside. I am using up decals that we use at work to wrap trucks as my mask and hole filler. Works well and is better than just discarding it. Keeps in my low budget project that turned out to be a total re do. I did not plan it this way it just went this way. If the engine would have kept going this would have never happened. I would still be driving it and have the patch work repair panels with the hot caulk and rivets. Thank you for looking have a good day.

cucvrus

008.jpg018.jpg017.jpg016.jpg015.jpg014.jpg011.jpg010.jpg009.jpg019.jpgThe Mule has been painted with 3 coats of CARC paint. I have a few spots that have some dry edges. i will sand them out and do another coat to smooth things out. Not sure it may have been to hot today. Overall it looks real good. Just a few areas need attention. Anybody ever have this happen to them? CARC is not exactly user friendly stuff. It is not for smooth perfect paint jobs. Thanks for looking.

rsh4364

No not yet. I've been waiting on a price with shipping quote from the guy for a while now but its fine. Like you say, this is really just a hobby for us so I'm not worried about it, I'll eventually get a pair of rims. Trust me, I've got plenty to keep me busy in the mean time.
Your truck looks great!
Saw some NOS 1009 wheels on E-gay today 53$ each.

cucvrus

Looked at Ebay and never saw any wheels. Maybe E gay has them but that is not my type of page. So I will let them for you. I won't ask what E gay is. What does this have to do with my rebuild? I don't need any wheels.

corvette9

CARC (Chemical Agent Resistant Coating) is more of a coating than paint. It won't come out as nice as CARC alkyd enamel paints that we buy now. Gillespie coatings is just good old enamel.

Your mule looks great. I hope I get to see it. Funny where that head gasket took you.

Brian G.

rsh4364

Looked at Ebay and never saw any wheels. Maybe E gay has them but that is not my type of page. So I will let them for you. I won't ask what E gay is. What does this have to do with my rebuild? I don't need any wheels.
I noticed post 101 and 102 someone was looking for wheels and he had a 1009 in his avatar,and saw some on ebay being sold by deuceseller out of Brackney,PA. Rick if you search on the site under cucv m1009 you can find them if in need.Sorry has nothing to do with your build but its where I saw it so was just trying to help a brother out.

Last edited:

Mg84648

I noticed post 101 and 102 someone was looking for wheels and he had a 1009 in his avatar,and saw some on ebay being sold by deuceseller out of Brackney,PA. Rick if you search on the site under cucv m1009 you can find them if in need.Sorry has nothing to do with your build but its where I saw it so was just trying to help a brother out.
Thanks for the heads up but I think I'll hold off for now. Rick has me motivated to rebuild my engine.
I hate following Rock's threads, he always manages to motivate me to do something on my truck and spend cash! My empty savings account thanks you Rick!
Just kidding buddy, your truck looks great in desert tan.
How about some invasion V's?

cucvrus

I need some more info on them. I am going to get decals made for them. I do not want to paint them on. Do you have any decent pictures of them? Are they just the size of the doors? Are they on the gate and hood or doors only?

Mg84648

Here ya go.00015-2.jpg
I would make it an inch wider if it was me. Apparently during the invasion, troops were instructed to paint an inverted V for identification purposes. No guidlines were issued except black on tan vehicles, white on woodland vehicles. So you won't be inaccurate by painting it to your taste.
DS vets correct me if I'm wrong,,,,,,,

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks