• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV head gasket / head/ or change engine survey

71m109a3

You didn't waste any time getting started! It's a shame to take that cool and very nicely done custom back off but I need the hard top. Hopefully someone else will be able to put it to good use. I'm very excited to pick it up! I doubt that there's an M1009 in better mechanical shape anywhere.

cucvrus

DSCF3554.jpgDSCF3553.jpgDSCF3552.jpgDug around and found a pair of decent front seats for an M1009. I need the passengers side inside center track for the passengers sub-frame assembly. Maybe you have that part laying around. Thanks for looking.

cucvrus

Tutorial later on rear window gate crank handle assembly. I will post pictures later. i have a party to attend. Enjoy the great weather and have fun. I have some parting to do. Smell whats cooking?

cucvrus

DSCF3605.jpgThis is an assortment of new reproduction parts for an M1009 rear gate. Window crank and all related parts.DSCF3606.jpgBeen a while since I put one of these together. But I was up for the refresher course. Like riding a bike. Came right back to me. DSCF3607.jpgI wanted to make sure the lock cylinder fit in the handle. I had some that I had to return because they were not milled out correctly. This was a very good reproduction from Brothers. DSCF3608.jpgSpring and pawl very nice also. Better then others I have seen. Clutch was also very nice. I see someone made a lot of improvements to these parts. DSCF3609.jpgLock cylinder fits snug and seats properly. I must remove to get the spring and pawl in place and seated. DSCF3610.jpgFits nicely. The key is to fully compress the pawl into the driver and seat the lock cylinder. DSCF3611.jpgWith the pawl and lock cylinder seated. The clutch gets attached with the E clip snap ring. DSCF3612.jpgThe window crank is complete and ready to install. I must build a gate now. DSCF3613.jpgDSCF3614.jpgWith that said. I hope that helps to get you back to having a nice window crank on your M1009 rear gate. I do Not know the purchase price of these after market parts. But they are very good quality. They have improved since the last ones I seen. Have a great day. I will post pictures of the rear roof repaint and the rear gate I am building from a parts gate I picked up. Not a military gate. But a decent salvageable one. Thank you for looking and have a great weekend. I hope that helped someone out.

cucvrus

My M1009 Mule being converted back to an M1009

DSCF3623.jpgDSCF3624.jpgDSCF3625.jpgDSCF3626.jpgI went out back and removed an M1009 top from the roof of an M1010 box. Time to get it cleaned up. It has real tree 3 D camouflage on it. Moss is growing on the seals. DSCF3627.jpgDSCF3628.jpgDSCF3629.jpgSome one had a brain storm to put silicone caulk on the top of the seal. They did not clean it before adding the sealer. 0 adhesion. DSCF3630.jpgDSCF3631.jpgDSCF3633.jpgDSCF3632.jpgLooking better already. Have a great day. I have to get back to the projects. Grass is all mowed. Lunch is over. Have a great day.

cucvrus

DSCF3635.jpgDSCF3634.jpgDSCF3639.jpgDSCF3638.jpgThe top is all sanded and ready for paint. The window rubbers I cleaned up with enamel reducer and a wire tooth brush. They came out nice and black again. I dug all the sealer from the top of the side glass rubbers. I will re-caulk after I paint. Moving along I dug out one of my YOUPULLIT finds from a few years back. A nice 1983 K5 Diesel tailgate. Manual. It had dark tinted glass on the cap. I pulled them and put them in my Crown of Thorns M1009. The rear glass I used also but it was short lived. The rear glass was laminated in this year with the dark tint. I broke it getting a chain out of the back. Never knewDSCF3640.jpgDSCF3637.jpg it broke till I was cranking it up and seen the crack. I used my little grinder and shot blaster and managed to blast a hole in the center and both corners. Nothing a little welding and patch work won't fix. It has a crack up top like normal. Welders work wonders. Even brazing. Enough for one weekend. Work tomorrow. This fun stuff can't last forever. Have a great day. It was 91 degrees here. 3 more months. DSCF2590 (1).jpgCan hardly wait.

Attachments

cucvrus

Welded up the patch on the center of the gate and fixed the crack up top. No pictures. I was running out of daylight as I completed the work tonight. Did some grinding and tapped all the threaded holes for the lift arm covers. Busy night. Just finished a few minutes ago. Time for rest and back to work in the AM. Today was a 2 shirt day. It was 90+ out and very humid. Pictures tomorrow night for sure. I failed at bringing the camera with me to the barn tonight. Oh well it still looks the same. hoping to kick the pants off this project in the next week. Want to complete it. I don't like to rush. Low quality is a reminder of a rush job that was poorly done. I can work slow and I can work fast. But I can't work half fast. Have a Great Day.

cucvrus

Quick and easy

DSCF3646.jpgDSCF3645.jpgDSCF3644.jpgDSCF3651.jpgDSCF3650.jpg
The rear gate is all welded up and I began working a thin layer of filler out on the areas I repaired. As I mentioned I wanted to post a few pictures tonight. Last night the brazing took place. All in all a nice rear gate. Bottom edge was in excellent condition. Just the corners and the center of the gate.

cucvrus

DSCF3642.jpgDSCF3641.jpgDSCF3643.jpgI've got a lovely bunch of Blazer seats. here they are all standing in a row. The center one not so nice. But a wealth of needed parts. DSCF3648.jpgThis is the pivot bolt out of the donor seat. Looks like these seats were wet for a long time. Not mine. They were dusty dry in the barn. DSCF3649.jpgAll stripped down and almost ready for a couple coats of paint on these multi piece seat pedestals. these are the better seat bases. they do not crack the floor out like the stamped tin bases do. They seem to have better weight distribution. Ever notice the floors are built for each type of seat pedestal. One will not fit the other one in the factory holes. Very strange. Same as the center tunnel. Some have a bolt in center tunnel others do not. A little more cleaning and the seats are soaking in cleaner over night. i will scrub them up and dry them a few days and install them. Thanks for looking. have a great day. Nice weather. Nice and hot.

cucvrus

DSCF3663.jpgDSCF3664.jpgThe gate is all finished and ready for primer. Multi tasking and getting a lot done slowly on several projects. Thanks for looking. This gate will be very nice when completed. The Kids think I used Gold to weld the cracks. Have a great day. Stay cool.

cucvrus

Today I was able to get the seat bases panted and get the seats back in the Mule M1009. I broke every TORX 50 I have on the rear seat belt anchor bolt. The seats look good and they fit right back in the stock holes. No modification was done to the floor to mount the bench seat.DSCF3690.jpgDSCF3689.jpgDSCF3691.jpgDSCF3692.jpgDSCF3693.jpgDSCF3694.jpgMoving right along. I have a few more things to do to get this project completed. The new owner is waiting. I have a hard time doing a fast job. I think it makes waste and poor workmanship. DSCF3695.jpgHard at it here in Jonestown.

71m109a3

Those seats look pretty nice and the base for the right one sure looks better than when I brought it to you. I'm all for whatever it takes to do the job correctly. I know you'll get it done right.

cucvrus

DSCF3728.jpgDSCF3729.jpgDSCF3730.jpgDSCF3731.jpgMore progress. heading in the right direction. Soon the M1009 will be in someone else's care. I like it that way. I have so many projects and a few I am neglecting. Time to get working. I will post more later. Gotta Run. Enjoy the pictures. It's a Simple Task.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks