• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

cucv headlight recomendations

Those 130/100's are DOT legal for single lamp motorbikes. When in a 2 headlight vehicle they MAY be legal - if your state allows auxillary lights (ie driving/spot lampsx2 and fog amps x2) to be run with 2 aux and 2 headlights on at the same time. The total lighting is less with a 260W high/200W low configuration with no aux lighting than using 100w driving and 50W fog's (330W in high+drive and 200W in low+fog)

In any event - the regs are seriously out of date and do not address HID, LED or the light temperature so really any LEO can write up whatever he doesn't like and you'll be defending it anyway. The 130/100 as described is easier to get a Judge to understand than Kelvin numbers and HID or LED's and lumens...

I used the 130/100's for 7 years as described above and 140K+ miles in AZ/MN/UT/CO/MT/ID/WA/OR/CA and Canada with never a ticket. And was stopped a 'few' times for various infractions usually involving long empty roads at night and speed zones... try going through the Navajo res at night with no fences to keep cattle off the roads and people in black jeans/jackets walking with their backs to traffic and randomly on either side of the yellow line. You NEED decent lighting!

Last edited:

j.cherry377

The LED headlamps by trucklite only draw 1.7 amps on high or 23.8 watts and are a third brighter than the Incandescent or Halogens because the lights output is narrow in frequency, that is all one color. Whereas a standard filament type bulb has a lot of energy wasted in the infra red region and HIDs do more or less the same in the UV region. If there was a 100 watt LED headlamp, two of those would be like a Nightsun on a helicopter to other drivers on the road at night, even though its cutoff is very tightly controlled, the reflected light off the roads surface or other objects would be very disruptive. The high cut-off though of the light does give superior visual recognition to items due to the pronounced shadows that the light creates when shown onto an object in the distance. The Military has started removing the HID's and older styles in favor of the LEDs for this reason and the fact that HID's are highly disruptive to communications due to the broadband noise that is created in the arc of the lamp.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There are many different brands out there
Truck-Lites are the best.
I love mine.

Do a search and there is plenty of info on the TL headlights

DREDnot

I'm not a big fan of the look, or the cost of the trucklites.

I went with Autopal E-code Cibie knockoffs and a cheap relay conversion harness.
Not quite $50 total investment and huge improvements.

DSCN3326.jpgDSCN3233.jpg20171210_182507.jpg20171228_020400.jpg

DREDnot

I wish they made a rectangular version of this light with the faceted lens...

DSCN9743.jpgDSCN9747.jpg

The ones that I see on the market look cheese-ball. These are the only LED headlights that I like the look of.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have those round Truck-Lite LEDs on my M925A2.
Excellent lights!
Did all LEDs on the 5 ton and they are all Truck-Lites.
My LED dash lights are Military issue but their not TLs.
Cost was painful but I don’t have to worry about them going out anytime soon.

Hella makes an excellent rectangle replacement CUCV light (not LED) that is nice.
I chose the TLs for my cucv mainly because of the very small Amp draw.

You get what you pay for.

tourus

ok that tread was started a long time ago and since then I have had a couple different lights. I still think the HIDS. I had are quite wonderful in my M1010. but since then I have bought a RAM 3500 DRW. and the first thing I noticed was I did not like the headlights. They were not bright and had a hard time at night to see any distance down the road. The Ram has the projector type lights. so I bought LEDS. From HID Nation great customer service. the LEDS were very good but not all that WONDERFUL. In the Headlight. But the fog Light and High Beam were great. So one day looking at face book came across a off road light made in Australia FYRLYT.com looks like a great light. but what I did find was that OSRAM Night Cutter light. That the web site talked about researched and looks real good going to order some now that the Holidays are over to try. Then found a web site to try powerbulb.com they have some great looking stuff and sounds good. Just throwing out information.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks