• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV Heaven, My build of a 1009 and 1008

WWRD99

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So we got at finishing up the front bumper and brush guard install tonight! Was crazy...had a tough time keeping those heads to stay in and not turn! Got them though and now it's on solid! I used my persuader to bend back the middle of the brush guard so now it's pretty straight! The last thing we did is get the tailgate and all the hardware installed...we tapped out all the holes since no bolts were ever in there and got everything bolted tight...I think we've spent about 50$ in bolts for all this stuff getting it on but very worth it! Everything looks great! I did put my charger on the new batteries for the last week just to make sure they're topped off...just a small 6 amp trickle...they loved it...so tomorrow I should get to the starter clean up and install! I'm going to pull the oil drain plug quick right before I go inside so it drains overnight. Till next time!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
So we got at finishing up the front bumper and brush guard install tonight! Was crazy...had a tough time keeping those heads to stay in and not turn! Got them though and now it's on solid! I used my persuader to bend back the middle of the brush guard so now it's pretty straight! The last thing we did is get the tailgate and all the hardware installed...we tapped out all the holes since no bolts were ever in there and got everything bolted tight...I think we've spent about 50$ in bolts for all this stuff getting it on but very worth it! Everything looks great! I did put my charger on the new batteries for the last week just to make sure they're topped off...just a small 6 amp trickle...they loved it...so tomorrow I should get to the starter clean up and install! I'm going to pull the oil drain plug quick right before I go inside so it drains overnight. Till next time!

Looking Good!!

Seems like the "concrete floor" in your garage looks a lot like mine :cool: That does work though!

Yes sir, trying to make those "stove bolts" stay still while you tighten them - without the magic of the square punch at the factory is a royal pain! But it looks so much better than any other way you could have done it. You definitely "done good".

WWRD99

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Starter installed!! Was interesting trying to figure out how to fit this monster in between it all... I decided to lift the front spring with my jack to get room to fit through the axle and engine which worked very well...now for that rear bracket...there was a bolt in the spot where it should go...I figured I'd use it but it turned out to be the wrong thread!! Dang guys...I have tons of the correct thread so I used the right thread and in it went...so mounting it was another story...I could get the bracket on the starter but not the block...so off the starter again to mount that first then use the copious amounts of 1/4 inch drive stuff to tighten it up...so now draining the oil I put a chunk of oak under the wheel to get the engine to drain all the oil...was a good night for that too...I didn't get my starter relay yet so I may jump a wire to get it to turn over today...till next time!

cucvrus

I don't like that standard bolt in the block. That hole is METRIC M8 1.25 I told you that. Don't try that 5/16" grade 5. I see 3 hash marks for grade 5. Thread chase that hole really good and make sure some other Knucklehead don't have the threads nuts up with standard bolt. Good Luck.

WWRD99

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't like that standard bolt in the block. That hole is METRIC M8 1.25 I told you that. Don't try that 5/16" grade 5. I see 3 hash marks for grade 5. Thread chase that hole really good and make sure some other Knucklehead don't have the threads nuts up with standard bolt. Good Luck.
I laughed when I took it out and saw the fine thread...it was barely finger tight...my bet is they popped it in there to mess with the next guy that would try to use it!! It was a m8x1.00...I would have been playing for a while if you didn't tell me what was supposed to be there!! I have tons of metric bolts so I had no problem getting a good one in there easy.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I laughed when I took it out and saw the fine thread...it was barely finger tight...my bet is they popped it in there to mess with the next guy that would try to use it!! It was a m8x1.00...I would have been playing for a while if you didn't tell me what was supposed to be there!! I have tons of metric bolts so I had no problem getting a good one in there easy.

Nothing like lift and insert starter. Remove starter, chase the threads, lift the starter again.
There is no job that can't be done several times - just for fun :)

Glad you had the bolts.

SO, big question: On these GM starters on these trucks - There isn't a knurled patch on the starter bolts - like a standard GM Starter? Don't guess it matters and cucvrus said that the bolt thread is metric. Does that mean metric with the knurl or no?

WWRD99

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nothing like lift and insert starter. Remove starter, chase the threads, lift the starter again.
There is no job that can't be done several times - just for fun :)

Glad you had the bolts.

SO, big question: On these GM starters on these trucks - There isn't a knurled patch on the starter bolts - like a standard GM Starter? Don't guess it matters and cucvrus said that the bolt thread is metric. Does that mean metric with the knurl or no?
He's not talking about the 2 big bolts that bolt the starter to the block...there's a bracket that bolts to the front of the starter case then to the block...the block side is metric and the starter is standard size...the 2 main bolts are knurled up by the threads.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
He's not talking about the 2 big bolts that bolt the starter to the block...there's a bracket that bolts to the front of the starter case then to the block...the block side is metric and the starter is standard size...the 2 main bolts are knurled up by the threads.

Ahhhh... Okay. Thanks! I thought maybe I was way off in the weeds.
Those magic knurls used to be really important.

WWRD99

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So the saga continues!!! Had the son change the oil filter...see pic...I have limited knowledge of non gas engines so I did what I've seen a bunch do to get these running...I bled the fuel filter first then cracked all the injector lines until fuel came out and it started!! The hilarious part is my son had his head under the hood when it did...got a face full of whatever was in the fan and engine compartment...is it bad that I let him learn from experience instead of warning him not to put his face in there?? He's got a bunch of good flashlight stories over the years too...he never heald it where I wanted it...if you know you know!! Now that it runs and moves we're taking to the belts...the power steering pump is a mess...looks like there's 3 bolts that hold it to the mount...ones not there...one was put in without a washer so its hammered the mount loose and one looks kinda ok...so we'll pull the pump pulley off tomorrow and see what needs fixed! Plus it's on the driveway now!

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
So the saga continues!!! Had the son change the oil filter...see pic...I have limited knowledge of non gas engines so I did what I've seen a bunch do to get these running...I bled the fuel filter first then cracked all the injector lines until fuel came out and it started!! The hilarious part is my son had his head under the hood when it did...got a face full of whatever was in the fan and engine compartment...is it bad that I let him learn from experience instead of warning him not to put his face in there?? He's got a bunch of good flashlight stories over the years too...he never heald it where I wanted it...if you know you know!! Now that it runs and moves we're taking to the belts...the power steering pump is a mess...looks like there's 3 bolts that hold it to the mount...ones not there...one was put in without a washer so its hammered the mount loose and one looks kinda ok...so we'll pull the pump pulley off tomorrow and see what needs fixed! Plus it's on the driveway now!

So, I believe there must be some rite of passage that has to be a thing called payback.
Good part is you got her running and moving and a little grease/oil/dirt never hurt a soul !

Just have to remember that YOU might be on the ground one day. And it might cost you!

---

The REALLY FUNNY part was that apparently all kids must need to pass the flashlight test. I failed miserably! I just couldn't stand there FOCUSED on whatever it was that dad was fixing (like I actually cared maybe?) and KEEPING the light ON whatever was being fixed. Heck, I thought that was just me... So now I think I am part of the flashlight club.

WWRD99

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So I'm at a silly impasse...I read the TM to page 164 last night, found some great info on diag but no actual part numbers...got pretty tired and gave it a rest...I'm familiar with TMs since I have several gensets to keep running but can't seem to get to the part numbers at the end of each section like the gensets...IDK I'm thinking they are laid out different...I need to find the belts for it the truck...the ones on it are definitely not the right length and parts guys can't do anything if the computer doesn't tell them what to do...I found a thread from 2008 in the FAQ section that had gates part numbers but they're not crossing over to anything available now...I hate to ask for part numbers but it really would be nice if there was info on how to get info out of the TM so I don't have to keep asking for something I should be able to find...on a side note I found this medieval looking thing under the seat today that looks like some kind of heater or vehicle fire starter...it could be both?? It looks like wires were cut off of it and should be bolted somewhere.

vanaisa

This " fire starter " resistor block belongs to the glow plug feeding system, it changes 24V to 12V for glow plugs. Your truck has probably direct 12V positive wire from battery?

Look here - this topic explains it:

Belts information you find here:

cucvrus

The belt thing is easy. I met you so I know you can handle this without any tears. Take the truck to the parts store. Drive it with the screaming, whining belts that you have. Take all the tools you need to change the belts and a socket to fit the center nut on the alternators. walk in a out of the parts store trying belts that fit tight enough that you must gently turn the alternator pulley to get them to slip in the groove. Adjust as needed and now you have belts that will stay tight and have lots of adjustment. the moment the belts squeal they are wearing down fast and need adjustment immediately. A few squeals over a weeks time will ruin the belt. And watch for rusty pitted pulley grooves. They eat the belts alive. I opted to have solid steel pullies put on alternators because they do not heat up as fast and seem to not rust and pit as fast. Good Luck. I know you got this.

WWRD99

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This " fire starter " resistor block belongs to the glow plug feeding system, it changes 24V to 12V for glow plugs. Your truck has probably direct 12V positive wire from battery?

Look here - this topic explains it:

Belts information you find here:

Yes!! now I know what that fire thing is...I don't have them on either vehicle, there is a wire run from the front positive battery to the block on the firewall...big thing that did bother me is it is not fused and is probably 5 feet long...I am going to do a amp test on it with everything running and see how high it goes then install a fuse block.

WWRD99

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The belt thing is easy. I met you so I know you can handle this without any tears. Take the truck to the parts store. Drive it with the screaming, whining belts that you have. Take all the tools you need to change the belts and a socket to fit the center nut on the alternators. walk in a out of the parts store trying belts that fit tight enough that you must gently turn the alternator pulley to get them to slip in the groove. Adjust as needed and now you have belts that will stay tight and have lots of adjustment. the moment the belts squeal they are wearing down fast and need adjustment immediately. A few squeals over a weeks time will ruin the belt. And watch for rusty pitted pulley grooves. They eat the belts alive. I opted to have solid steel pullies put on alternators because they do not heat up as fast and seem to not rust and pit as fast. Good Luck. I know you got this.
Taking it to the store isn't far off!! I got the SF 97 yesterday and can go in for tags today!! Took about a month which is a record time for me. I think my main frustration comes from the parts store employees...it's gotten so bad that one said if these belts don't fit that there's now way to find out what will...my head explodes when I run into people like that...he even saw the belt measuring tool being used but didn't think I could use that to find the right length...I am going to take the power steering pulley off this morning and get the pump tight in the mount...I did get a belt for it but don't know if it fits...would be nice if it does since the alt belts would take 5 minutes to put on...oh and driving on 15 year old tires is ok too right!!'?? just asking for a friend...no spare lol.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Taking it to the store isn't far off!! I got the SF 97 yesterday and can go in for tags today!! Took about a month which is a record time for me. I think my main frustration comes from the parts store employees...it's gotten so bad that one said if these belts don't fit that there's now way to find out what will...my head explodes when I run into people like that...he even saw the belt measuring tool being used but didn't think I could use that to find the right length...I am going to take the power steering pulley off this morning and get the pump tight in the mount...I did get a belt for it but don't know if it fits...would be nice if it does since the alt belts would take 5 minutes to put on...oh and driving on 15 year old tires is ok too right!!'?? just asking for a friend...no spare lol.
Sad but true. Standing behind the counter rather than walking out there with you and looking... Or maybe better yet, here is the belt number you asked for and the next 2 sizes larger and smaller. Don't Know and Don't Care. I can have all the patience with stupid or maybe even plain ignorance. I don't care makes me want to choke somebody.

cucvrus

I must live in God's country because everywhere I go locally and buy parts I have developed a great relationship with the sales people. I can walk in and ask for a size belt that is a 1/2" shorter ten the one I carry in. They give me one and I walk out and come back in and say how about another 1/2" shorter. They go and look and come back with one. Sometimes I ask for the same one I previously had. They oblige and when I get all 3 belts all nice and tight. I pay for the 3 and exchange pleasantries and leave. Win Win. They know I will come back again and do the same thing I have done it for over 35 years in the same businesses. I use Autozone, NAPA, a local parts store. where ever I am and when ever I need them. The Autozone is always open so it is convenience. Good Luck.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I must live in God's country because everywhere I go locally and buy parts I have developed a great relationship with the sales people. I can walk in and ask for a size belt that is a 1/2" shorter ten the one I carry in. They give me one and I walk out and come back in and say how about another 1/2" shorter. They go and look and come back with one. Sometimes I ask for the same one I previously had. They oblige and when I get all 3 belts all nice and tight. I pay for the 3 and exchange pleasantries and leave. Win Win. They know I will come back again and do the same thing I have done it for over 35 years in the same businesses. I use Autozone, NAPA, a local parts store. where ever I am and when ever I need them. The Autozone is always open so it is convenience. Good Luck.
You may very well be on to something there cucvrus.
Here in the big city, getting good help may just be more difficult.

For YEARS we had an older guy at our local Advance Auto Parts.
He could recognize the part from a vehicle when he saw it on the counter.
That was so nice and he had "people skills" too...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks