• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV Heaven, My build of a 1009 and 1008

WWRD99

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well I'm usually good with parts people but the last 2 years pretty much every parts store has swapped out people several times...that goin on to the next part in the barn I'll need is the lower belt pulley...unfortunately it has rusted through at one spot so I need another!! I don't worry about doing this again since I want to replace the balancer as well and it gave me a chance to try out the 2 pullers I have...neither of which will work...I have an installer that should work though!! I don't know the size of the crank bolt or I'd know for sure!! So since I do have all the pulleys off I decided to sand off all the rust on them...they were pretty bad...should grab good now...I took a bunch of pics on how to remove the power steering pulley and install if anyone wanted to know how that works plus the puller/installer set I have...off to get my belts now! 2 stores have the size I should need...the power steering is unimaginably easier to put on with the water pump pulley off!!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

WWRD99

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So belts are done!! Had some good fun finding the correct bolts for the power steering pump and the passenger side alternator...I installed 2 new bolts in the power steering pump so now it's tight in the mount...the upper alternator tension bolt was wrong!! Dang guys again...if you look at the pic it's hard to see a difference between the 2...ones metric ones standard...probably the easiest way to know is the metric has a number on the end where the standard has hash marks...I needed a metric bolt! Again lucky I have boxes of them! So I used the belts in the last thread that I read with the exception of the 15575...apparently it's on backorder...but you can get the 15570 on there with a little fun...it came out on the low end of tension so I'll have no problem keeping these in good shape. This one smokes a little compared to the blazer but it probably hasn't run in a long time...gotta get more fresh fuel for it...it does start and run easy...I got new fuel filters today so I'll run the one in it for a bit and pop the new one on soon...fixed one broken wire for a glow plug too and found a broken sensor in the front of the drivers side head I'll have to hunt out yet!

WWRD99

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So the project of getting the floor done in the blazer continues! We have made all the parts needed to get the drivers floor done to the front of the back seat...we're using por-15 to coat these first...unfortunately the first coat we did wrong and it peeled off like wax paper!! Found out a simple step we missed was rinsing the soap off before using the etching compound...stupid move so now it all has to be ground off and redone...sets us back a day and some frustration...goal is to get it all painted today and start welding in tomorrow...be a nice day for it...on the truck front I get my starter relay today so I won't have to use my jumper wire to get it starter any longer...the next problem is tire selection...we want way more tire than is in there but do not want to change the rims...I'm stuck on the stock size or a 265...I can't go shorter...oh and the tires I have the newest one is from 2011...one is not date coded at all which was the spare...the other 2 are from 2000...so I can't drive this until I get new tires...the blazer has worn out tires but wide rims so that won't be tough to get a little more out of...need a spare rim though!

WWRD99

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Been pretty busy this week and used an entire bottle of gas welding in the floor...it's coming out great! I did find a surplus store that had the lower crank pulley NOS...Very NOS...I opened one box, got 3, and it looks great...be nice not having the rusted out pulley come apart on me! Still hunting on a balancer...found a NOS one of those too but it was from 88...not sure I want to trust a rubber part from that long ago...I'm finding a pretty common one that makes parts for a bunch of stuff now so I may go that route.

ezgn

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Been pretty busy this week and used an entire bottle of gas welding in the floor...it's coming out great! I did find a surplus store that had the lower crank pulley NOS...Very NOS...I opened one box, got 3, and it looks great...be nice not having the rusted out pulley come apart on me! Still hunting on a balancer...found a NOS one of those too but it was from 88...not sure I want to trust a rubber part from that long ago...I'm finding a pretty common one that makes parts for a bunch of stuff now so I may go that route.

Summit Racing AC Delco $180.00 Ouch! Amazon 1 left AC Delco #170.00

ezgn

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks good, that is a lot of gas welding, a TIG welder would sure come in handy. It sounded like you received 3 pulleys, would you be interested in selling one?

WWRD99

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks good, that is a lot of gas welding, a TIG welder would sure come in handy. It sounded like you received 3 pulleys, would you be interested in selling one?
That's what I have! I only have a 80lb bottle. The place I got it from has a bunch...only 33$ each! Not sure if I can post where on this thread though.

WWRD99

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Those are some Big Buck Batteries.
I think in some parts of the world they are...I know the supplier of the local base...they had 2 pallets of them...I paid not much more for the pair than if i would have bought one big agm or red top...they get a bulk price on them...nice thing as well since they go through so many these were only a few months old when I got them...I could not find them at any local parts or battery store...I think they buy them all.

ezgn

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think in some parts of the world they are...I know the supplier of the local base...they had 2 pallets of them...I paid not much more for the pair than if i would have bought one big agm or red top...they get a bulk price on them...nice thing as well since they go through so many these were only a few months old when I got them...I could not find them at any local parts or battery store...I think they buy them all.

Now I got ya. Makes sense, love those Military discounts.

WWRD99

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Now I got ya. Makes sense, love those Military discounts.
Live very close to a bunch of companies that make big stuff too...Bradley etc...the base is where I got my 1009 from so it has not gone far from home.

WWRD99

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Update to the madness is the drivers floor is to the point of one more coat of farmer paint and the seat goes in! Son spent hours welding and grinding and cleaning and painting today...you get the point...I took the drivers door out to tap out a few dents and remove the door lock and found this chunk in the bottom of the door...I thought this was supposed to be at the bottom of the door track to support the glass when down but can't remember...we got more parts on the way to seal this thing up...the windshield comes out soon so we can play with the leak it likes to have.

WWRD99

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's the door latch. The hinge bushings and pins must be really bad. Or the door is that poorly adjusted. I would replace the strikers and get a door latch from a donor door. Properly adjusted they do open and close like a newer truck. Good Luck.
yes it is the back of the door latch, completely blown out...hinges are fine but the striker is welded in place with a plate under it...probably exploded the first time they closed it.

WWRD99

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have fixed that issue in the past. I used a hole saw and cut into the inside of B pillar where the nut is located and held the nut in place and then just put a plastic cap plug in place to fill the hole. Never noticed it. Good Luck. You can weld it good and strong and adjust it where it needs to be.
That's a great idea!! I was wondering how I'd get the nut inside since I can't reach up in there! What's one more hole really!! It has a plate welded to the body then the stud welded to it...I very happy that I have so many ways to make metal do what I need it to...torch, mig, press etc...I have a good whole saw set that should work great for that too. This Blazer is a good bit of work...mostly because I have no idea what I am doing!! I can cut and weld fine,,,,first time getting into bodywork though! The part that's fun is learning how to with the kiddo and now that we figured out how to do the drivers side the passengers side should go way faster, if that's a thing!! Thanks for the tip and it's much appreciated!!

WWRD99

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So I got both alternators rebuilt, new harmonic balancer, crank seal and front pulley installed today...was a blast...the balancer went on and off no problem...I have both puller and install tools so it goes very fast...balancer was shot and there's no way I could see that from under the truck...the alternators took a little time but not much...had a tough time getting the center out of one...both had the open bearings in the front housing so having the sealed type will definitely be a good thing...the passenger side alternator has a capacitor on the outside and inside and does not have the little ground stud hooked up...the drivers side has a ground hooked up to the little pin...they are identical otherwise...took tons of pics but won't post all of them! Repeat on the 1009 next!...the gen lights turn off right when it starts now and am in the green at the charge guage...tech tip...I used a 2 1/2 inch 4wd hub socket and silicone the crank seal to it so it's beyond easy to tap in place.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks