• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV Heaven, My build of a 1009 and 1008

WWRD99

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So I found another one to turn into a fun truck that is a 6.2 civ version blazer...probably do a mil clone with it...bumpers n such. I thought you all would get a kick out of the fuel filter setup they had on it!! The guy I bought it from didn't know what it was so he took it off...ugh..gotta find an original one out there now! Has the big axles in it plus most of the bodywork done already. Missing the dash cover for the gauges and the shroud...this one has ac and a push button glow plug setup...all the wires cut! Thankfully I have a complete under dash harness to replace anything gone just need to fix the glow plug stuff. Starts real easy...crazy how these are so close to the mil versions!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

ezgn

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So I found another one to turn into a fun truck that is a 6.2 civ version blazer...probably do a mil clone with it...bumpers n such. I thought you all would get a kick out of the fuel filter setup they had on it!! The guy I bought it from didn't know what it was so he took it off...ugh..gotta find an original one out there now! Has the big axles in it plus most of the bodywork done already. Missing the dash cover for the gauges and the shroud...this one has ac and a push button glow plug setup...all the wires cut! Thankfully I have a complete under dash harness to replace anything gone just need to fix the glow plug stuff. Starts real easy...crazy how these are so close to the mil versions!

No doubt that must of been a plumbers truck. If you need your truck fixed just call your plumber, a great deal at only $100.00 dollars an hour.

nyoffroad

Notice that rubber mat on the firewall? That is the coveted yet rarely seen firewall sound deadening, very nice thing to have combined with a hood blanket and floor insulation/carpet it can make for a very quiet and comfortable ride.

WWRD99

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So the parts collection and welding is going good. Found a front grill guard today that I will put on the new project civ...have several fenders, 4 window glass and a bunch of fenders...we are so close to getting his blazer done and he's getting really good at welding and fitting parts he has made.20211215_170353.jpg20211227_122220.jpg20211215_164808.jpg20211227_122248.jpg20211227_122252.jpg

ezgn

Steel Soldiers Supporter

M1009_SPAIN

So the parts collection and welding is going good. Found a front grill guard today that I will put on the new project civ...have several fenders, 4 window glass and a bunch of fenders...we are so close to getting his blazer done and he's getting really good at welding and fitting parts he has made.View attachment 854346View attachment 854347View attachment 854348View attachment 854349View attachment 854350
great welding job, are you welding with an electric wire welder? What intensity do you put on it so as not to pierce the sheet?

WWRD99

Steel Soldiers Supporter
great welding job, are you welding with an electric wire welder? What intensity do you put on it so as not to pierce the sheet?
I actually had to go look since my son is welding up this side...the steel is 0.40 thick and really welds very easy...gas is set at 12 or so pounds. The mask is a huge part of this process too as a non adjustable one can be hard to see through. He welds the edge together first, sands off the top of the weld, if there is any, then does a broad weld over both to make it smooth...we do this so the metal doesn't get so hot that it warps all over...tie it all together then final weld is what I'm getting at.

dougco1

So the parts collection and welding is going good. Found a front grill guard today that I will put on the new project civ...have several fenders, 4 window glass and a bunch of fenders...we are so close to getting his blazer done and he's getting really good at welding and fitting parts he has made.View attachment 854347
How are you going to fit that tire under your M1009?

Last edited:

M1009_SPAIN

I actually had to go look since my son is welding up this side...the steel is 0.40 thick and really welds very easy...gas is set at 12 or so pounds. The mask is a huge part of this process too as a non adjustable one can be hard to see through. He welds the edge together first, sands off the top of the weld, if there is any, then does a broad weld over both to make it smooth...we do this so the metal doesn't get so hot that it warps all over...tie it all together then final weld is what I'm getting at.

Thanks

WWRD99

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So it's been a month since my last update since not much has changed in the CUCV world here....parts are coming for the blazer still, found some clean fender wells for it...no rust...plus the kiddo bought another car,,1973 440 charger...ugh...dang projects stacked up for days...on the M1008 I finally got the tag for it...took a month, no title yet dang Penndot. So the first test drive was a absolute crazy fest, that thing smoked like a coal train then choked out, got about 2 miles out of it. I am guessing bad fuel and a clogged filter...so I'll be draining that tank and doing a clean out and a new filter which I never did before on this like I should have...it had a tough time shifting at first but I did make it to second a few times...gotta check the tv valve-vacuum...it always smoked bad especially when I did burnouts on the driveway...I should really video some of the antics that go on here. Until next time!!

WWRD99

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I thought I'd play with the vacuum pump this morning to see if it had any and if I could get the trans to shift. The vacuum is at 28 inches, seems high??... so that's working, while I was there I moved the vacuum valve adjustment forward thinking that since it was all the way back it may shift then....no luck really...didn't go far but enough that the engine wanted to shift and it didn't. The engine wants to stall if I let off the gas trying to get it to shift but I'm giving that to bad fuel. The next move is to get a longer vacuum hose so I can test it at the modulator...not sure if it's getting vacuum there yet. I pulled the line off the modulator and fluid did not come out so at least that part is sealed. I have to look up where that vacuum shift valve should be as well since it might be right all the way back but I'd think somewhere in the middle is where it should be. On the fuel front it appears I do have a full tank as I thought the gauge was wrong as it read over full. I ran the truck with the bleeder open for about an hour into a 5 gallon bucket and now the gauge moved down some....to say the fuel smells like turpintine is an understatement!! I have a friend that has an oil burning heater for his shop that I'll give this wonderful stuff to. I have an external pump I'll use to put the fuel into 5 gallon buckets to take to him. Oh the joys of bad fuel!!

20220209_112121.jpg20220209_115726.jpg

Last edited:

WWRD99

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So I finally got around to draining the fuel out of the tank in the 1028 and it really stinks of old turpy fuel...only got a few gallons out! I removed the filler hose and found nothing but rust and gunk as far as I could stick my fingers in there so I'm going to get a new tank and sender for it...my gauge was reading full and did come down to 3/4 after running it a lot...so it needs replaced either way...I am finding 2 different size tanks out there but think these have a 20 gallon due to it's size of 55 inches. So off to the parts ordering again!! We got the fender on the 1009 the other day after months of searching for a clean non rusted fender liner...he cleaned it off and sanded it down to metal and he applied the por 15 on everything. It came out great. I bought new fender U nuts so it should be good to go. I got him his first tube of silver anti sneez so he can learn about the wonders of the lube that ends up everywhere by some act of the silver goo god.

20220306_160049.jpg
20220306_150212.jpg
20220306_150205.jpg

20220310_115605.jpg

WWRD99

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So as usual just replacing the fuel tank that should take about a half hour is now going to drag into tomorrow...I broke one of the hanger brackets so that was another trip to the parts store plus looking for something to bolt the straps on with...found some flat head stainless bolts that will work great...on other news the fuel or turpinfuel as I like to call it has a crazy festive color to it....in the pic it is very red like off road fuel red which I didn't get any in this...but it is pinkie color in person...very little smell and the tank where it had fuel doesn't look bad but above that is complete rust, only an inch or so in there now...got a new tank and a sending unit coming for tomorrow. Hopefully changing this out will get rid of the smoke because it does like a 8V92 with a bad blower.

20220310_175447.jpg

20220310_175606.jpg

20220310_182434.jpg

WWRD99

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So all this crazy warm weather has really got me goin on these projects on the trucks...I got new straps for the tank and used a 26 inch bike tube to insulate the tank from the mount and straps...worked great...I found some allen head stainless bolts to hold the straps back on which worked as close to flush as I can get...Got new fuel lines and fuel injection clamps to get the tank hooked up...the new sending unit has a roll over valve in it which is good I guess...the fuel gauge works now that I added a small fortune of 5 gallons at 5.75 per in it...I did replace the fuel filter and bled it out quick...it did smoke a good bit when it first started but I know it needs blown out! After a few minutes it didn't smoke at all and I couldn't smell it or my eyes didn't burn! I did get some weird fuel out of the system bleeding it out...some kind of separated mass in the bottom....I'll drive this around the block tomorrow and see if it'll not stall out like it was doing.

20220311_164434.jpg

20220311_165322.jpg

20220311_164445.jpg

20220311_190723.jpg

WWRD99

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok as the story goes these trucks are never done!! I got it running great now with the new fuel, tank and filter...buuuuttttt it won't shift until up to 35 for second and 45 for 3rd....poor D is screamin...so I knew I had a good vacuum pump but for some reason I had full vacuum at the modulator all the time...so I thought I had a bad vacuum valve....buuuut I didn't since the boot that worked on it years ago replacing the vacuum lines swapped locations of the negative hg on the vacuum switch...ugh... all it took was removing the 2 lines and swapping them...now it shifts like a dream and is fun to drive...it chirped second gear before which was fun but not every time! I did replace the modulator with an adjustable one so I can tune the shift and line pressure to get it to do exactly what I want it to...I'm going to hook up a trans gauge to line pressure and find that sweet spot for shift firm and timing...should be fun!!

20220315_184638.jpg

20220315_184558.jpg

20220315_182736.jpg

ezgn

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok as the story goes these trucks are never done!! I got it running great now with the new fuel, tank and filter...buuuuttttt it won't shift until up to 35 for second and 45 for 3rd....poor D is screamin...so I knew I had a good vacuum pump but for some reason I had full vacuum at the modulator all the time...so I thought I had a bad vacuum valve....buuuut I didn't since the boot that worked on it years ago replacing the vacuum lines swapped locations of the negative hg on the vacuum switch...ugh... all it took was removing the 2 lines and swapping them...now it shifts like a dream and is fun to drive...it chirped second gear before which was fun but not every time! I did replace the modulator with an adjustable one so I can tune the shift and line pressure to get it to do exactly what I want it to...I'm going to hook up a trans gauge to line pressure and find that sweet spot for shift firm and timing...should be fun!!

View attachment 861610

View attachment 861609

View attachment 861608
I think most modulators only adjust 2-3 MPH. Most of the adjustment will be done by your vacuum regulator.

WWRD99

Steel Soldiers Supporter
We had another productive day...got the battery trays out of the m1009 and he spent 5 hours cleaning, grinding and welding in some new metal to replace some rust...came out great...should get the new fender and well on it Sunday. On the M1008 front I spent a little time dialing in the vacuum at the throttle and then final tune at the modulator...I don't think I'll need to change it any...ended up with right at 11 hg at the throttle and a few turns in at the modulator and it shifts strong and downshifts easy. It runs great now so I'm not sure what else to do to it!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks