• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV-II, South Florida Rebuild

transman

205s are definitely tough ,but, to put one in a cucvII with driver side front shaft you would have to start with a ford unit ,machine the input hole for large chevy input ,use a "clocking ring " between trans and T-case and have custom length shafts made . Been there ,done that .

rustystud

205s are definitely tough ,but, to put one in a cucvII with driver side front shaft you would have to start with a ford unit ,machine the input hole for large chevy input ,use a "clocking ring " between trans and T-case and have custom length shafts made . Been there ,done that .
Actually all you need is the "divorced" Ford NP205 transfer-case and a crossmember to mount it to. Then just have your drivelines made up. No need to go all crazy modifying the transfer-case and transmission. Also you will need the tail-housing and output shaft out of a 2WD 4L80E transmission .

Stonepicker1

4401s come with either a bolt on rear yoke or a slip yoke . I,m not familiar with the ones in the cuvcs . I have some here to compare ,but if memory serves a common NP 241 is a direct replacement and holds up as good if not better despite being rated as lighter duty . If you would like I can do a comparison to insure I'm stating fact . Rick .
I attached some pictures of the transfer case in my dually. All of my CUCV II's have the same transfer case.

i might have a spare( I bought a parts truck a few years back,1999 6.5l 3500 4x4 dually with bad engine)

Attachments

transman

A NP 241 from a '95 to 2000 2500 Chevy or GMC w/ 4L80 trans Will bolt right into cucvII the only dimensional difference is the 241 being approx 3/4" shorter overall which 98% of the time is not an issue . Rarely, rear shaft length might come up a bit short to properly engage the TC output splines. All that being said ,following your adventures with this truck it should be well within your capabilities to repair your 1370/4401 yourself . the culprits are the range fork and hub .these parts ,along with the chain ,oilpump and other assorted internals are the same as a 1356 from a Ford from the '90 -'96 era. this stuff is widely available on Ebay and other sources . Check the internal teeth on the inside of the input shaft to insure they are not wearing at an angle whish endloads the range hub / fork causing premature wear . good luck .

Stonepicker1

A NP 241 from a '95 to 2000 2500 Chevy or GMC w/ 4L80 trans Will bolt right into cucvII the only dimensional difference is the 241 being approx 3/4" shorter overall which 98% of the time is not an issue . Rarely, rear shaft length might come up a bit short to properly engage the TC output splines. All that being said ,following your adventures with this truck it should be well within your capabilities to repair your 1370/4401 yourself . the culprits are the range fork and hub .these parts ,along with the chain ,oilpump and other assorted internals are the same as a 1356 from a Ford from the '90 -'96 era. this stuff is widely available on Ebay and other sources . Check the internal teeth on the inside of the input shaft to insure they are not wearing at an angle whish endloads the range hub / fork causing premature wear . good luck .
Thanks for the info. I plan on taking the transfer case apart to see if I can fix the problem myself. I watched some video's on the rebuilding of these TC and I should be able handle it I hope.

I might have to get rid of the Heath Diesel MAX E TORK TG SERIES TOWING PROGRAM.. I think this is messing my TC up.

Last edited:

rustystud

It's interesting you mentioned the NP241 transfer-case. There is quite a lot of aftermarket parts available now to beef-up this unit to handle much more power. If you don't need the PTO it would be a viable option for this truck.

86m1028

Thanks for the info. I plan on taking the transfer case apart to see if I can fix the problem myself. I watched some video's on the rebuilding of these TC and I should be able handle it I hope.

I might have to get rid of the Heath Diesel MAX E TORK TG SERIES TOWING PROGRAM.. I think this is messing my TC up.
The tcase is all mechanical, why do you think the Heath tow program is messing with your tcase ?

884x4310ci

Hey I have question about your towing shackles. Could you tell me the size they are? Also the mount size they are on? Looks to be 2x2 square tube. But it's hard to tell by pictures.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks