• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV II Tahoe - Wiring problems

Artillerydan

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know there are a very few of you out there with these trucks. They cut the wires off the batteries and some other items. Could use some help trying to figure out whats missing and what goes where...:-?

DSC03948.jpgDSC03949PAINT.jpgDSC03950PAINT.jpgDSC03954PAINT.jpgDSC03958.jpgDSC03959PAINT.jpgDSC03960PAINT.jpgDSC03963.jpgDSC03968.jpgDSC03969.jpg

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is this the truck from Barstow?

My II diagrams are at work. I'll send the tomorrow.

I can help with the batteries and engine wiring. The glovebox looks to be factory stuff.

Purchase a set of used GM tech manuals from fleabay for the stock stuff.

Can you see the PCU (silverbox) in the rightside of the glovebox opening? Mine was toasted by the IA NationalGuard

Last edited:

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'll need some pics of the engine fuse block and the firewall area behind it.

Where is the battery cable running for the starter? From the terminal block below the passenger battery or from the battery itself?

Artillerydan

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes this is the Barstow truck. Actually came with ALL the paperwork. started life in TX then was transferred out to Nelis. (surpluses a Barstow go figure). Also a nice list of all deficiencies (some real some not so much) so they could justify dumping it. None of the paper work says anything about bad engine or trans. Just BS stuff like paint, door hardware, tint, leaky turbo, and more little items

I will look tomorrow when I get to the office for the wiring items you mentioned.

trying to decide CARC green or tan..... Obviously the green would be easier. And yes the light bar will stay.

It does have a few miles... 97,000 ish

Last edited:

combatmech

Nice score!!! Was wondering when the lucky winner would surface. Bummer about all the cut wires......Best of luck. Did it at least come with an operators handbook?

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Send me your email address and I'll send you the diagrams.

Artillerydan

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It came with the few civilian manuals and the CUCV II Supplement. Also a stack of about an inch of all the records from when the truck was transferred from Texas and all the repairs and related since. I will post some of that later.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looking at the pictures you sent, the cut purple wire is the hotwire for the blower motor. The black wire is the ground.

I would hit up a pull-a-part yard and grab the end of the purple wire and the cover/screws for the missing fan. Your choice on a new or used fan.

Just a guess here, but the relay in pic #7 may be the relay for the blower motor. Since the blower is missing and the wire is cut, they may have been trying to troubleshoot it and removed the relay. Again just a guess but this diagram sure looks like it.

http://www.justanswer.com/chevy/1ywjl-change-resistor-controls-blower-speed-1996-chevy-ta.html

GM changed the wiring in 1998 so my truck is different than yours. At this time I don't know what the two disconnected plugs go to.

**** edit *** found them. Don't know for sure what they are but they may be the radio harness connectors.
http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/showthread.php/35776-Blower-Motor-Resistor-1996

I sent the battery wiring diagrams via email.

Attachments

Last edited:

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Was at my local Pull-a-Part loooking for something else and found all your missing items for the blower fan. They even have a good bracket for that relay. I couldn't tell where the two connector plugs went to. One went up towards the top of the dash and the other went towards the radio area.

Last edited:

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Went back this afternoon to retrieve a bumper for another project. While I was there I picked up your parts and snapped a picture of your two plugs.

Let me know if you want me to ship them out to you.

I would replace the heater resistor before you put everything back together.

Attachments

Last edited:

MilChevyguy

That is an awesome truck....wish I could find one in Canada!!!

Just starting out here on SS..and my eyes hurt...been days of reading and reading ! ! !

What was the price of your style of truck worth?? running or not?

(PS anyone got one of these for sale??)

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
They sell on GL anywhere from $3500-$4500 US for trucks that have major issues. Like broken engines, wrecked, etc.

A couple of nice ones sold last year in Alaska for around $8000

A member here bought a crewcab pickup in California for $14000

How much do you want to spend?

yukondriver

@ combatmech,
"a first gen CUCV brush guard can be modified"
Do you sure what you write there? I have done it...it´s a lot of work. The first gen is completely different and bent.
Easier you buy steel and rebuilt it... ;-)
Who need pics from the rebuild work can ask me...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks