• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV-III Starting trouble shooting

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well guys, the CUCV-III that is (hopefully) shown below has a bit of an odd issue that my motorpool will get around to fixing, but I figured I would check and see if you guys had any similar issues and solutions, especially if it's not the obvious.

So, problem: Occasionally, the starter doesn't seem to want to catch. get a odd medium high pitched grind whiz noise. Solution is to shift the truck into drive (engine is not running) come off the brake a bit, back on the brake, put in Park and try again. Repeat until it starts. There are no other issues to my knowledge.

It does have a transmission hump mounted electrical kill switch. Also, a 4x M16 rifle rack in between the two front seats. Seats are standard Chevy, but with heavy duty Army OD Green seat covers. This was a Navy truck that out Property Book Officer scored from DRMO.
20130418_064704.jpg20130418_064709.jpg20130418_064938.jpg20130418_064619.jpg

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not sure if your truck is a true LSSV (may very well be a LSSV) but lucky for you the LSSV manuals are available for download.

http://www.gmfleet.com/lssv-lmp-manuals.html

Sounds like the starter bendix is bad and needs replacement. Looking at the wiring diagrams and searching the parts manual, the starter should be a regular 12v unit for the Duramax.

Since it is busted, you guys don't need it. I have a buddy in Seoul that will come pick it up. :mrgreen:

Last edited:

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks Warthog. We'd rather keep it as it's filling a shortage here since Maintenance has no contact truck. plus, if it hits DRMO I'll take a loan out to buy it! :p