• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV import?

softboyled

Hi all,

I was wondering it anyone had any tips on trying to get a Candian CUCV imported into the US from Canada. I need to get the letter that states to what level the vehicle complied with the then current FMVSS. I tried gmcanada, but they suggested contacting the Canadian military. Is that the best route? Would GM in the US be more productive? Anyone have any leads on contacts for these folks?

Thanks for your help,
Greg

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Greg, I don't want to rain on your parade, but it might be easier to find a clean truck in the US. The ambulances are around. I can't tell you where to find one...but I am sure they are around. Just a thought...

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'd try talking to someone who has experience in the business of importing military vehicles first. GM is just going to scratch their head and say, "duh, advise is $60/hour". You know, like they normally say when you visit the GM Service Department. Plus, they're not gonna know much about a 20-year old vehicle and legal importation issues. I'd say find someone, even if it's a business and you have to pay a little for their time and experience, someone who has brought vehicles into the country from elsewhere, especially Canada.

Fred431

CUCV Import

There is a 1010 ambulance on GL in sale number 3213 The bad part is that its in Chamberburg PA. SAle closes 1-24. I have a Canadian CUCV that I bought 12 years ago. from a dealer. This dealer had to go through a import company in orderto get it here. The CUCV was built in the US. I can dig out the paper work if you need the info

AJMBLAZER

RE: CUCV Import

Did Canada use the CUCV's as we know them or are we referring to the plain jane gas powered late 70's GM 3/4 tons they used?

devilman96

You need a broker with DOD experance also... Your not importing a truck.. your importing an article of war. Sounds dumb but that is EXACTLY what your up aganst.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

softboyled,
Is it an ambulance you want? The Fontana brothers have a fairly clean GM amb. Here's the catch...no drive train...engine, trans and I think, no front or rear ends. I will hopefully be out there this Saturday, i'll snap a pic of it.

Fred431

CUCV Import

The Canadian CUCV's are identical to the US ones with the exception of the speedometers which read in kilometers at least thats the only difference in my M1008

softboyled

Re: RE: CUCV Import

WillWagner said:
softboyled,
Is it an ambulance you want? The Fontana brothers have a fairly clean GM amb. Here's the catch...no drive train...engine, trans and I think, no front or rear ends. I will hopefully be out there this Saturday, i'll snap a pic of it.

Um... What -does- it have? :) I'm not sure I'm ready for a build-up of that magnitude. Yet. I'd love to see the pics, though.

I've inquired with a broker and he was pretty firm about it not being possible to import. I think that finding a broker with MV experience might be productive, but I think I'm about ready to give up on this one. I'm not sure it's a great value independent of these hassles.

As for GL, I'm a bit leary of the NO KEY -- UNKNOWN status of the one in PA. What has been the general experience with those?

Thanks, Greg

JohnFire

RE: Re: RE: CUCV Import

I bought my M1028 out of that yard in PA on GL and it seems they just don't have the keys for them. All mine took was to prime the fuel system change the batteries and it fired right up. I took the key out of ours at my fire station and made a copy. You can also get a key made by using the key code. It is floating around the net somewhere. Remenber all Mil cucv'x have the same key so I reccomend you get it rekeyed onece you get it. So no one just hops in and drives away.

Oh the no status is cause they don't have a key to start it either. I asked them on mine when I picked it up :D

AJMBLAZER

RE: Re: RE: CUCV Import

Is it titled as a civilian vehicle in Canukistan?

Just wondering why you couldn't skip the importers and just go up, buy it, and then drive it home with temp tags. I know people who have bought regular vehicles in Canada and driven them home with temp tags or even gone ahead and gotten Michigan plates for it.

softboyled

Re: RE: Re: RE: CUCV Import

AJMBLAZER said:
Is it titled as a civilian vehicle in Canukistan?

Just wondering why you couldn't skip the importers and just go up, buy it, and then drive it home with temp tags. I know people who have bought regular vehicles in Canada and driven them home with temp tags or even gone ahead and gotten Michigan plates for it.
It's owned by a civilian, so I assume it's titled that way. It is registered and insured and driven regularly.

Stupid question: In your scenario, who issues the temp. tags?

greg

softboyled

Re: RE: Re: RE: CUCV Import

JohnFire said:
Oh the no status is cause they don't have a key to start it either. I asked them on mine when I picked it up :D
Hmm. I wondered if it was just that simple.

Thanks for the info.

AJMBLAZER

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: CUCV Import

Ummmm...one guy bought a car in Ontario and drove it back here with temp tags. I'm assuming they were Canadian temp tags. I know a Canadian that did the reverse as well.
The other guy bought a truck but actually drove up and saw it, bought it, got the title, etc. Came back to Michigan, registered and insured it, got hand state plates for it, and then went back to Canukistan, put the plates on it, and drove it home as his vehicle.

softboyled

AJMBLAZER said:
Ummmm...one guy bought a car in Ontario and drove it back here with temp tags. I'm assuming they were Canadian temp tags. I know a Canadian that did the reverse as well.
The other guy bought a truck but actually drove up and saw it, bought it, got the title, etc. Came back to Michigan, registered and insured it, got hand state plates for it, and then went back to Canukistan, put the plates on it, and drove it home as his vehicle.
A variation on that theme: I was wondering what prevents a hypothetical CDN owner from taking a holiday in the US and simply forgetting to take his vehicle back with him? That's a serious question. Is there some check to ensure that visitors return with their vehicles? I've crossed the border numerous times and I can't think what it might be...

I don't think that there's anything inherent in the vehicle itself that identifies it as a CDN CUCV, is there? Aside perhaps from the data plate that mentions the contract it was sold under.

Also, I should point out that I'm not suggesting anyone should try this...

greg