• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cucv in Iraq

Csm Davis

My point was, that truck never had a Bft installed in it. It may have been in a convoy in the very early days of the war. But not within the last 3/4 part of the war. Like maybe 2004 on they never left the FOB
Ok if you will reread my first post you will notice I didn't say it was a bft someone suggested that and I said may have been bft I don't care if it was called a BLT sandwich, it had a gps on it looks like the on on the 1031 in the last picture stonepicker posted. Also ding ding ding! In ink in the cab on the roof It says sent to port 2004, I never said this happened last week! Heck the truck has been in drmo for over 2 years!
CSM Davis, I was trying to agree with you. If it came across as different than that I apologize. I was just trying to say that the CUCV could have been hit while on the FOB, not that it never went outside the wire.

And as far as older GPS goes, if it was early war, they were probably using the old PLGR.
Thank for the apology and for the PLGR maybe that's what was on it.

Mercunimog404

Banned
Ok if you will reread my first post you will notice I didn't say it was a bft someone suggested that and I said may have been bft I don't care if it was called a BLT sandwich, it had a gps on it looks like the on on the 1031 in the last picture stonepicker posted. Also ding ding ding! In ink in the cab on the roof It says sent to port 2004, I never said this happened last week! Heck the truck has been in drmo for over 2 years!

Thank for the apology and for the PLGR maybe that's what was on it.
Hmmmm in your fifth post you said you thought it was. So..... And all I said is it's not a blue force tracker because the truck would have never left the fob in the timeframe the blue force tracker came out. So if it magically had one I guarantee it wouldn't have left the fob hence I'm sure some soldier didn't think outside of the box and put one in a Cucv just to do it. It would have been a waste of time. Please stop getting so defensive and act like a csm :)

Csm Davis

A Cucv would never have a Bft in it. As they were fob vehicles, never leaving the wire.
Is what you said there by calling myself or a cwo4 a lier so put your big girl panties on and own up! Yeah I said a bft was what he said and it probably was what he said can YOU name every system you ever saw and used in the last 15-20 years? Bft is just the latest of a crapload of gps tracking systems to be used.

Mercunimog404

Banned
Is what you said there by calling myself or a cwo4 a lier so put your big girl panties on and own up! Yeah I said a bft was what he said and it probably was what he said can YOU name every system you ever saw and used in the last 15-20 years? Bft is just the latest of a crapload of gps tracking systems to be used.
Nope not calling him a liar :). People make mistakes and confuse things. I'm not sure what I have to On my way! up to?

Csm Davis

Csm, to he!! with what the keyboard commandos think. Your CUCV has more character and war stories than a Government Liquidators going out of business sale.

I would like to check it out though. Got pics? :p
These all are on the inside of the front toolbox door on the driver side. The outside has been repaired and whole truck repainted but all of these are consistent with shrapnel from a mortar going off right where CWO4 said it was. More pictures to come.

Attachments

Last edited:

biggestc69

Back in 03 during the invasion I got stuck on a MST with the 3RD ID and 130th ENG BDE. I had a mint condition M1031 but keeping up with those guys pretty much ended her. She took a few small arms hits and some shrapnel on the way to our stopping point, the Southern Tikrit Airfield, Taskforce Ironhorse. Back then we didnt have fancey GPS or anything, just a dispatch book which had to be signed by the commander to get you on and off the FOB. Once a week we had to drive 5 or 6 miles up to the main presidntial palace to check in with the Battalion Commander on what vehicles were down and what parts we needed to get everything to 10/20 standards. Anyway here's a few pics of my baby over there. The last pic is what our main mission came down to after the war and that was to give the Iraqi's a way across the flooded river. So we constructed the longest floating bridge in combat history, and finished it on Sadam's birthday in his hometown. Supposed to be kinda a slap in the face kinda deal.cucv1.jpgcucv2.jpgcucv3.jpgLongest Float Bridge.jpg

plumkrazy

C D--I hope you change your mind and keep posting. I enjoy your postings and the information you have previously posted. Those battle scars on the CUCV are like the 2 notches on my Grand dads old Army Colt. A source of constant interest and discussion. So please don't let it get to you, and just keep on adding your input and knowledge to SS. Regards--Allen

Stonepicker1

Back in 03 during the invasion I got stuck on a MST with the 3RD ID and 130th ENG BDE. I had a mint condition M1031 but keeping up with those guys pretty much ended her. She took a few small arms hits and some shrapnel on the way to our stopping point, the Southern Tikrit Airfield, Taskforce Ironhorse. Back then we didnt have fancey GPS or anything, just a dispatch book which had to be signed by the commander to get you on and off the FOB. Once a week we had to drive 5 or 6 miles up to the main presidntial palace to check in with the Battalion Commander on what vehicles were down and what parts we needed to get everything to 10/20 standards. Anyway here's a few pics of my baby over there. The last pic is what our main mission came down to after the war and that was to give the Iraqi's a way across the flooded river. So we constructed the longest floating bridge in combat history, and finished it on Sadam's birthday in his hometown. Supposed to be kinda a slap in the face kinda deal.View attachment 458587View attachment 458588View attachment 458589View attachment 458590
lol..."IRONHORSE" you guys had it made sitting in the indoor pool at the palace. How time fly's.

Attachments

biggestc69

Stonepicker1 we were stuck at the Southern Tikrit Airfield, not the palace. So we stayed in Sadams horse stables. Which were still pretty fancey, marbled trough's and the works. We did drive to the main palace once a week and give our report on how maintence was doing, but we never got to stay and play. We did get to go through the main palace which was pretty wild. And as for the statues on the main gate going in I don't know what happened to them. But I do remember them. The horse's had scud missles on all four of their legs, haha. Sadam was crazy for those scuds. I'll see if I can come up with some stable pictures, they were remodeling when we got there. So they weren't done, but it beat the **** outta sleeping on the hood of the CUCV for the duration of the war! This is Chiefs 5 ton expando trailer complete with AC and phone. Its good to be king I guess. chiefshome.jpg This is our headquarters building where we had to drive to once a week, once again, good to be king.headquarters.jpg Here's some more pics of the front gate with the statues Stonepicker1. If you look close you can see the missle's.maingate.jpgmaingate.jpg

biggestc69

First two are for Stonepicker. I dunno if you got to go through the first picture which was the main palace or not. I walked it and went in every room, took me almost 3 hours. That place was MASSIVE! mainpalace.jpg The main road into Tikrit, Sadam had it all planned out leading his army's and of course scud missles to victory and the holy land.tikrit.jpg

biggestc69

About forgot here is our Motorpool and the stables from the airMST Area.jpg. Just lay in the dust and change out M900 series trannies and engines and the old HMMWV transfer cases. We went through alot of those. stable1.jpgstable2.jpgstable3.jpg And this is where we ended up. Each troop had his/her own stable and after roughing out sand storms and or sweating it out in a sleeping bag it was nice to finally get in outta the desert for a little while. At least to sleep in anyway we got to go roll around in it while wrenching. Sorry to hijack this post I just realized it. But thanks Stonepicker1 been awhile scince I looked at those pics. And to teh original poster and everyone else I apologize!

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
can you post a better pic of the braket on the drivers side front of the maint box? Opposite the radio antenna. Might be a PLGR or DAGR antenna mount..

biggestc69

CSM DAVIS, I was just a lowley CPL waiting on points when I was getting out but I love sitting down with the higher ranking NCO's and swapping old war stories. Awesome story on your truck and the fact that you ran into a Warrant that was there with it, remembered that it first off took shrapnel and second was able to point it out is outta this world! Ya I know now that now all flat bottoms pretty much stay on FOB's. But back in the day, there were NO FOB's. And I can't speak for everybody but we were at the end of a 6 KM convoy with the HEMMT wrecker and we were unarmored. Everybody else was we had sandbags on the floor and on the hood and dash. That was our armor so who do you think gets pot shots taken at them? Abrams? Bradley? Or the slow overwieghted 1985 Chevy? I think its one of the cooler stories I've heard since dealing with these trucks over the past 5 or 6 years. And I wanna thank CSM for sharing it and giving me a chance to show that mine took some too. Thanks again for sharing!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks