• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cucv in Iraq

Csm Davis

can you post a better pic of the braket on the drivers side front of the maint box? Opposite the radio antenna. Might be a PLGR or DAGR antenna mount..
Yeah but that mount is for storage of the lock rods. The mounting for the gps was on the roof of the cab like the picture posted by stonepicker

Attachments

Last edited:

Csm Davis

CSM DAVIS, I was just a lowley CPL waiting on points when I was getting out but I love sitting down with the higher ranking NCO's and swapping old war stories. Awesome story on your truck and the fact that you ran into a Warrant that was there with it, remembered that it first off took shrapnel and second was able to point it out is outta this world! Ya I know now that now all flat bottoms pretty much stay on FOB's. But back in the day, there were NO FOB's. And I can't speak for everybody but we were at the end of a 6 KM convoy with the HEMMT wrecker and we were unarmored. Everybody else was we had sandbags on the floor and on the hood and dash. That was our armor so who do you think gets pot shots taken at them? Abrams? Bradley? Or the slow overwieghted 1985 Chevy? I think its one of the cooler stories I've heard since dealing with these trucks over the past 5 or 6 years. And I wanna thank CSM for sharing it and giving me a chance to show that mine took some too. Thanks again for sharing!
We all started at the bottom and I really have enjoyed you and stonepicker's post. And y'all are welcome to swing by my AO FOB COB or whatever they want to change it to and have a look at the ole girl a sit around and swap stories.

jumpmasterjim

On my first trip to Iraq (2003) one of our company supply sgts (Rhode Island Guard) had a 1008 with a cap. on our way up to baghdad he got 2 flats and only had 1 spare. we chained it to the bumper of a duece and towed it into scania and managed to get tires for it. he drove it from falluja, baghdad and if i remember he had it up in ballad for a bit. CUCVs did see limited use early on.

Hal O'Peridol

At the beginning of the war a LOT of USAR and NG units got called up, and shipped with what they had. Desert Storm era vehicles, equipment, clothing. And a lot of it still woodland camo and woodland BDUs.

You don't get to go to war with what you want, you get to go to war with what you have.

Trailboss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Purple Heart vehicles

Of the hundreds of GovLiq auction trucks and trailers I've inspected over the years, I've only seen maybe 2 with battle damage. One of them is the M1101 trailer with shrapnel holes that I bought from GL. CSM Davis' CUCV is the third - I've seen the truck but I saw it before Jeff found the damage.

Csm Davis

Okay evidently this truck is famous within the unit because I had another gentleman pull up yesterday and give me even more information so stand by folks I am going to get all of the story and any other information I can from the unit and drivers that I can find, also going to have them sign the truck. Was told the truck would make runs with a gun truck to go repair and recover broke down vehicles. Also I believe that whatever gps unit that's on this truck is going to be the one that was on mine, anybody know what it is? Looks like the commercial domes on big rigs?

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks