• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV Instrument Cluster Repair

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Anyone have a suggestion on how to repair the circuit board on a M1009 CUCV instrument cluster.

One of the tabs for the wiring connects has broken off. Red arrow in picture.

I know I can buy a replacement for $80 but like everyone else I am too cheap.

Thanks

Attachments

Armada

If you can get the film coating peeled back a bit from the copper path, try a piece of metal tape to make up the difference. Remove the adhesive from the tape in the area contacting the copper path and add a dab of rtv (or something similar), over the top to hold it in contact with the copper. May get you by until you can find someone parting out a cluster.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ended up repairing the cluster with a piece of copper wire.

I had some small diameter wire and used a hammer to flatten it. After trimming it to size,I used a 25w soldering iron and tinned the two peices together.

To hold the "new" piece in place I used some superglue.

I also had to restore a couple of light sockets. I heated the plastic up with a heat gun and reformed the plasitc. Then I smoothed it with a file.

Sorry for the picture quality. It was late.

Attachments

Last edited:

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Warthog, if you still have the cluster out, could you take a picture of the entire back (or a couple of pics that show the whole thing)? I would appreciate it.
The TM's seem very vague on the layout (or I can't find it!).

Cheers

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
As a matter of fact I do have it out. I will take pictures.

I also traced down all of the leads and made a diagram of it. I also labeled all of the wires w/colors at the wiring harness and where they go to.

It is at work and I will post it on saturday.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A little known fact is that a popular movie was actually inspired by watching a guy replacing the dash lights in his CUCV....
If you master the technique, you too can change your bulbs without personal injury.

Cheers

(A mind is a terrible thing to waste, I should be ashamed of myself...)

Attachments

soldering iron and super glue are your friends lol when messing with a cluster something i found out taking a idiot light dash out of a civy truck the military used them but went back and melted plastic over the 250 number printed in the inside of the cluster im thinking a civy diesel cluster with idiot lights might be exactly the same if so it solves alot of problems also the speedos were diffrent from the cucv diesel and gas the cable is also a little diffrent i have found alot out scouring junk yards for the last month (lol IM cheap like warthog) Warthog rocks:beer:

Last edited:

CycleJay

re; CUCV Instrument Cluster Repair

Anyone have a suggestion on how to repair the circuit board on a M1009 CUCV instrument cluster.

One of the tabs for the wiring connects has broken off. Red arrow in picture.

I know I can buy a replacement for $80 but like everyone else I am too cheap.

Thanks
Hello Warthog,

What is the LMC truck part number for that instrument cluster circuit board.?

Thank you,

CJ

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks