• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV Locking Fuel Cap

Would you use a lockable fuel cap

• Yes

Votes: 58 72.5%
  • No

Votes: 22 27.5%

• Total voters

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
As most Cucv owners know the stock fuel cap is no longer available. You might find a few at some of the surplus vendors.

It is larger than the civvy versions and it allows the use of the large truckstop fuel nozzles. However it is not lockable.

A couple of questions:

1 - How many of us use the "large" fuel nozzles at the truckstop pumps?
2 - Would you use a lockable cap if available? (Not a lock on the fuel door)

I'm looking for input from you guys on your daily usage. Pros, cons, thoughts.

Last edited:

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In four years I think I have used the large truckstop fuel nozzle only once for the Cucv. Usually I go to the local station which has a smaller nozzle.

alburms311

I have not used the large nozzle, and I wouldn't want a lockable cap if I had a choice. I seem to have too many keys as it is, and imagine it would get old quick fumbling around looking for the key every time I pulled up to the pump, not to mention being very frustrated should the key become MIA.

sierrajcharlie

I don't use the large nozzle if I can help it. The high volume and my tank don't work well together, foaming is really bad. As far as a lockable cap, in a larger populated area I'd use one. But here in my area, you can still leave your keys in the ignition overnight and not worry about it. Maybe in time I'll want/need one but thankfully not yet.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't use the large nozzle if I can help it. The high volume and my tank don't work well together, foaming is really bad. As far as a lockable cap, in a larger populated area I'd use one. But here in my area, you can still leave your keys in the ignition overnight and not worry about it. Maybe in time I'll want/need one but thankfully not yet.
Ditto

hunderliggur

I thought all CUCV owners effectively left their keys in the ignition all the time! Doubly true on a Deuce.

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I installed a civi filler spout and a lockable cap. Had to fabricate an aluminum adapter plate to marry the spout to the CUCV housing, but it worked great.

Hope this helps.

Attachments

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There was a thread over on AR15.com about the high-speed diesel pumps. A guy in the business wrote a long dissertation on all the behind-the-scenes stuff at gas stations. He strongly suggested NOT using the high-speed pumps as they don't filter as well as the auto pumps do.

Yes, I would (and have tried to) buy a locking cap. The key would be kept inside the truck under the foam lining of the pistol locker to keep it off my keyring.

ODFever

Madness Takes Its Toll...
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have locking fuel caps on my Police Interceptor and my Tahoe Police Pursuit Vehicle. I would love to have a locking cap for my M1009 as I live in a very populated area. I have never used the large diameter truck stop pumps.

2HIJOS2126

I've never used the big truck stop pumps, I don't mind waiting 5 mins to fuel up... As far as the lockable fuel cap... I live in good old Idaho Falls Idaho, population 60,000... Not that crime doesn't exist but fuel theft isn't a big thing out here... But that being said if there was one out there for my CUCV then I would probably get one...

ramcatdoc

I've never used the large nozzles, frankly didn't know they existed, as this is my first diesel. But that now explains why the fuel intake port is so large. I leave my truck for a week or two at a time as I work 240 miles from where I live. I'd love to have a locking cap that would fit the larger intake, so I wouldn't have to change the port.

ryan77

I don't use the big pump ever to much foaming! I don't need the locking cap! Ive never had anyone steal fuel yet. I don't mind using the slower pump usually im in the station getting a Big Gulp anyways!!!

Durango_USMC

I'd get a locking cap if one was available for when the M1008 isnt in the garage. Not too worried about someone steeling the fuel so much as I am about someone adding stuff to the tank. I live in a nice spot but... people are still unpredictable.

ssdvc

I would love a locking one. And like Durango said, more to keep unwanted stuff out of my tank. I like the larger fuel tank opening on my 09, as it allows for fueling options if the need were to present itself.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Warthog, do this mean that your up to something? Like you've found a secret stash of CUCV locking fuel caps?
Maybe...... ;-)

I've had an idea on the back burner for awhile. Just getting an idea of the need before taking on the task.

hlcrkfrm

No need for a locking cap here in the middle of nowhere, and no large nozzles around here just small gas station ones.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks