• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV Locking Fuel Cap

Would you use a lockable fuel cap

• Yes

Votes: 58 72.5%
  • No

Votes: 22 27.5%

• Total voters

rivcrazy2000

I would definitely be interested in getting a locking cap, even if I had to send mine in to be somehow converted. Most of the time my truck doesn't move so I could just cover it with cardboard or something to keep the dust out. I use the high flow diesel when I'm in Talkeetna going to Fairbanks but last I was there 3 weeks ago the lady flagged me off saying that it was for semi's only. I'll see if that policy holds next time.

I got one of those deuce fuel sieve cones, cut the hard ring off, bent it back on itself so it could squeeze through the CUCV cap thread (with 'help') - now the sieve stops foreign objects as well as siphon hoses. Reduces some of the foaming as well. Could be removed with time effort and a couple of pairs of needle nose pliers but would be hard.

Last edited:

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here's what I did - I purchased a new civi fill spout with locking cap and fabricated an adapter to marry the civi spout to the military body bracket. Worked like a champ. I cut the adapter from sheet aluminum I had in the shop. It's so easy a caveman can do it.

Hope this helps.

Copy of DSC02566.jpg

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would definitely be interested in getting a locking cap, even if I had to send mine in to be somehow converted. Most of the time my truck doesn't move so I could just cover it with cardboard or something to keep the dust out. I use the high flow diesel when I'm in Talkeetna going to Fairbanks but last I was there 3 weeks ago the lady flagged me off saying that it was for semi's only. I'll see if that policy holds next time.
I read something in another forum, posted by a guy in the fuel distro business. He advises that regular diesels should not use the high-speed pumps because the filtering that’s present in the regular diesel pumps at the fuel islands is absent in the high-speed pumps the truckers use.

Man, I hate trying to paraphrase. Here’s the whole thread. Interesting insider info.

scottladdy

I just completed updating the fuel fills on my trucks to civilian fills, body brackets, and locking pre-release green fuel caps.

There's enough foam from the smaller diameter nozzles IMO.

However, I would probably have avoided the extra work and expense if there was a locking cap that fit the larger fill.

In my neck of the woods, the least expensive diesel is at the convenience stores, like $0.12 a gallon cheaper on average. I often see semi's pull up and fill at these much slower auto diesel pumps, even though there is a full service truck stop just down the street. These are usually local guys. I guess the slower fill rate is worth the savings for these guys. The long haul drivers are found at the truck stop. And the truck stop frowns on anything but the big rigs using the larger pumps.

Anubis8472

I read something in another forum, posted by a guy in the fuel distro business. He advises that regular diesels should not use the high-speed pumps because the filtering that’s present in the regular diesel pumps at the fuel islands is absent in the high-speed pumps the truckers use.

Man, I hate trying to paraphrase. Here’s the whole thread. Interesting insider info.
Perhaps it's a regional thing, but around here the truck pumps have external filters.
I always use the truck pumps when I can. Diesel isn't very common around here in personal vehicles. IMO you'll get cleaner fuel from a station that moves a lot of fuel, over a station that stores it for long periods.

BloodCarver

I would love to have 2 locking fuel caps for my M1008A1(one for each tank). I want it mainly for the reasons already expressed by the others, keeping stuff out of my tank(s). This coming year I am having a second 20 gallon tank installed on the passenger side(Got to use that wasted space). Then I will have dual tanks and forty gallons of fuel(800 mile range) with out sacrificing cargo bed space. I also like the information on using the duece n half's fuel sieve. I think I will make this addition as well.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks