• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV longevity

PhillyAR

Is there any truth to this quote from wikipedia about the CUCV:

"All were phased out sooner than expected due to their inability to survive the hardships that the purpose built vehicles could endure."

I am not trying to troll, I just want an honest answer. The fact that so many CUCVs are sold off with 50k or less miles seems to support this statement.

Westech

CPL
well there life span was over 20 years........ there a good truck you just got to take care of them. But yes driving around in the sand box take a lot out of them just as any truck.

I would say the problem mostly lies not with design or construction of the CUCV, but with the expectations of the end user, in this case, the military. When used as a light utility and cargo vehicle, the CUCV does just fine. What the military needed was more than the CUCV could deliver, but that wasn't obvious at the start of the program.

ABN173

Granted they were being replaced prior to Desert Storm, but that event helped seal their fate. They did not do so well in the sand.

edpdx

Whatever the reason, I am glad I am able to buy and drive one even all these years later. I wish the HMMWVs would be retired as soon to the public... for any reason.

Hey ABN173, I come up to Ft. Lewis every 3-4 months with my dad. We go to the PX and Commissary and class 6 store. I love being on BASE. Do they have MREs at your commissary yet? I need the hook-up on some soon.

Ed

ABN173

edpdx,

Yes oddly enough they sell them at the commissary now. I sometimes have a few left over from FTX's.....I just can't bring myself to eat three of those per day. I'll save a few for you. Next time at the Commissary, I'll see what they sell for.

-Dale

M1008driver

These vehicles are retired military. Maybe they didn't make the grade for the modern day mission, but with the right care they will last a long time. I've already been impressed by the heavy duty vehicle parts on my truck. I am sure it will survive longer than me if I have anything to do about it.

Iceman3005

I believe they were phased out early because the fact you put a 19-20 year old kid behind the wheel with no commonsense and ya sure it will get destroyed. But lets take a look at the civilian modal, most of them are only a 3/4 ton but yet you still see a lot of them on the road, ya they may be all rusted out but there still going. Then look at the offroad market most full size rigs are 3/4 ton chevys...............I think the m1008-09-28's are a lot beefer than the 3/4 ton. Its not that they couldn't survive the hardships of daily use, its the fact that you give any 19 year old kid a vehicle and they will find some way to destroy it, just look at some of the 2 1/2 ton trucks there destroyed beyond repair with very little miles.

rnd-motorsports

:ditto: young kid behind the wheel, right foot with get-r-done driving it, and its not theres's anyways state of mind, and throw in the tires were not a good choice for most places and yes they did not last long! but for a truck of the day they were great! but had there downside as any thing built has. lets see a modern deisel and trans in them back in there day would have been a dif story I'm sure.

NoneRequired

I wish the HMMWVs would be retired as soon to the public... for any reason.
Don't hold your breath waiting for that to happen. The next big program for the Light Tactical Vehicle is what is being called HMMWV Recap. Which is basically re-manufacturing the vehicles from the chassis up. Will include new bodies with integrated armor, V-bottom bodies, new powertrain and maybe some other crew protection goodies I can't talk about.

The Marine Corp already has a Request For Information out on the street, the Army RFI is forthcoming.

What this means is there won't be HMMWVs going to GL anytime soon, if ever. The projected cost of a recap vehicle is substantially less than what the current new vehicles are being bought for.

NICK_M1009

They probly are getting replaced by the HMMWVs. Think of it this way, if you go to war what would you rather have a blazer with sheetmetal floors and thin glass or a HMMWV with reinforced floors for land mines and bullit proof glass to keep you from getting shot. I have not served in the military, but I worked in a shop that made parts for the HMMWVs to help the troops stay alive. Hope it helped out for those guys and gals.

Blood_of_Tyrants

They CUCV is just a slightly modified civilian vehicle. How many '84 Chevy pickups are still around? Not many. The design life for most civilian vehicles is about 10 years. That can be extended to about 15 years with a good maintenance plan. But many of these vehicles sat for many months at a time and sitting is just as hard on mechanical equipment as running.

M1008driver

I agree, I would not buy such an outdated vehicle. It's just a money pit. I will say there are many civilian Chevy trucks from the 80's still running around my town. That would be a better buy IMHO. Not some beat up military failure of a vehicle I could never trust not to leave me broke down beside the road.

:p

Last edited:

GoldComet6

In north Georgia, we still have lots of old Chevy trucks & Blazers still on the road.

They may not have been a great "tactical truck", but they must be a pretty good design to still be sought after and be on the road after 25+ yrs.

I've already had two guys ask if my M1009 was for sale :shock:.

Iceman3005

i am 16 and i dont destory my truck so thats not a fact there are few of us who do care from are tucks.

Yes I would agree with that, there are a few of the younger generation that do care about there vehicles, but most don't especially if they didn't pay for it, like the young men in the army.

DXTAC

I hate to, but I have to admit that when I got to my unit (January 1990) and was trained to drive all the fun toys and I was truly surprised at how slow and powerless the 1008's, 1009's, dueces and 5 tons were!! I threw the hammer down at every opportunity and drove them like I stole them! About 6 months later my unit switched to the Hummers and 5 tons. After the big hand-off I was ramped up and licensed on these and took the 5 ton to a live fire excercise and did a very stupid thing! On the shift column their was a sign that read something like "Do not apply brake and the accelerator pedal at the same time" Well guess what, I figured out why really quick. When you do a brake torque in a 5 ton with probably 800 or so ft lbs or torque something is gonna give and it was the driveshaft!! After I had my A$$ handed to me by Top, I had to explain to SGM why his brand new 5 ton with less than 100 miles was in the motorpool for maintenance. Even though I was threatened with an Article 15 they never followed through - WHEW!!

Moral of the story is after that experience it was 5-10 MPH UNDER the speed limit and take off nice and slow from stop signs, lights etc. I learned that then and still do it to this day!! My 1009 is NOT a speed vehicle and was never built to be. I use it for fun and hauling around my toys and family.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
even with RECAP/RESET going on for HMMWV's, DRMO has them listed for DEMIL by total destruction. They wont get surplused out like the CUCV/M35/M800 stuff is/was

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks