• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

cucv losing power any ideas/help

remote6

So I drove my m1009 to work today 111 mile trip drove fine for about 80 miles then started acting like it was running out of fuel the gage showed about a 1/4 tank so i stoped and got 7 gallons back on the road and same thing started to lose power could only get up to about 40 mph on the highway barley made it to work. The ip pump is newly rebuilt said the guy i bought it from looks nice and clean. I took out the "sock" filter from the tank cause that was giving me problems and put an inline filter in its place its clear and looks a little dirty but not so much as to starve it of fuel. Also the filter under the hood is new last month same time as i changed the sock filter out. The truck seemed to be blowing white smoke, i checked the oil no coolant in there no oil in the coolant. any ideas would be great i dont think i could afford a 111 mile tow :(

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sounds like your starving for fuel.

Time to drop the tank and clean it, reinstall the sock and a new filter.

engineman2

Seems like clean fuel should be making it to the lift pump. It could be a bad lift pump, pinched fuel line or cracked/broken fuel line. It's hard to check the pump without some tools and a second person. But if you look under the engine on the passenger side in front of the starter you should see the lift pump. If it's soaked in diesel there's a good chance it's bad. (This is how I knew mine had gone) Also just look around for pinched lines and wet spots. Hope this helps!

remote6

I did take a look at the lift pump earlier there was a small amount of fuel dripping so maybe it's sucking in air there ill tighten up the clamp latter. I did change that main line last month as well cause it was leakin and dry rotted could not get the right fuel line with the pre bends so I used a regular fuel line in its place extra long so it didn't pinch but it is a little bent there maybe that's the problem. I'll check it out latter keep y'all updated thanks for the replies!

HillbillyWizard

Did you ever get you truck running 100%? One other item to check/replace is the check valve and screen that is threaded into the back of the IP. Not exactly easy to get to but if it gets clogged you can see those symptoms. We've got them new if you find that you need one.
-HW

U1100L

Usually white smoke=sucking air. Put a pressure/vacuum gage just after the filter see whats going on with the lift pump. Got a new Mechanical on my truck and it lasted 3 weeks would have never noticed if it wasn't for the gauges and one cranky IP. Went with Elec. piece-o-cake.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
2 weeks before the GA Rally I installed a new spin on filter on the M1010. On the way home, about 1200 miles into my 1500+ mile trip, the truck dropped to a max of 39 MPH. Exited highway and did the basics first. Swapped filter and sped home at 62 MPH. With no sock, you never know just how quick a filter can clog up. Always change that first thing.

remote6

Thanks for the info/ help everyone love the feed back here on ss. So this is what I found got to work talked to one of the mechanics here he was nice enough to time it for me so got it back to the station and then I decided to look at it a little more. Checked out the fuel line from the lift pump first sence I just changed it. It looked a little pinched but also the clamp i put on it was a little lose so I took the line off re looped it so it was not pinched and put a new clamp on it. Started it up and then it died a few minutes later. So started it up again same thing it would start for a minute or two then die. So then I checked the inline filter I put on after the tank it was a little dirty so I took it off and cleaned it. Tried starting it a couple more times same thing it would start and then die then it just would not start. Then I burned the starter out :shock: Fu*K I live 111 miles from work now I was pissed. Anyhow had to buy a new starter 150$! drove up on my 4 day changed it tried to start it again and prime the pump nothing and its raining out now. Try try try nothing finley last try she starts up:burn: so i think the first problem was the fuel line either sucking shut because of the cloged inline filter and not the right fuel line on or it was sucking air from the cheap clamp forgot to mention when i changed the starter I took off the inline filter. Now next project is the spin on fuel filters and electric pump.

TheEndIsNear

Hey,
I've just had some of the same symptoms, started out starting and running for 3 seconds and stalling in which I would have to crank and crank to get her started again. It would always start right back up and run fine in the beginning if it was less than a couple hours since shutting off. At that point I thought it was a Vaccuum leak somewhere so I replaced the Pump, Rubber Lines, Fuel Filter Housing, Filter, cleaned the Glass Ball in the return at the IP...Each time I did something new, my M1008 seemed to run a little better but not "right". Finally got to the point where it would idle and run with very little throttle but as soon as you hammer down, it would blow white smoke and stall. Also, right before it never left the farm it would stall when driving forward or around an exit or sharp turns. Last time I drove it, had to drive from my neighbors in reverse to my house. Finally got my lazy a$$ up and dropped the tank...Put a new Sending Unit in with a NEW sock and it has driven all week with pulling a Landscaping Trailer with no problems. Doesn't seem to have as much power as I think it should but it's now reliable. I now wonder if it was a Dirty Sock or air being sucked in by the sending unit the whole time.

Hope this helps you and others. I've read many threads with no one following up telling if anything they did worked.

remote6

Thanks for the reply, in my case it did turn out to be the sock and also I think I was sucking air/ line collapsing by the lift pump. I just removed the sock and put a new clamp on the rubber line by the lift pump, I still have the same line on but will be removing it to put an electric pump on for my turbo install. It has been running fine sense then. Will be doing the turbo soon just picked it up the other day just need head studs and gasket and the new fuel pump.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks