• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV m1008 Tire Rotation

Keith_J

Radials traditionally are rotated front to rear, no cross as this will change direction of rotation unless demounted and reversed. As this requires thought, it is best not attempted.

The Detroit Locker may make right side wear a bit more.

Skinny

Why does a Detroit cause more right side wear?

Pretty much every car/truck I've worked on in the last 15 years the manufacturer recommends front cross to the back and backs come straight up. Of course full size spares can be pulled into the rotation and directionals stay on the same side.

Skinny

No offense to anyone and I certainly do not keep up on tire technology but in my 15 years as a master technician, secondary, and post secondary instructor, I've never heard this...

Crossing keeps the tread from feathering on the leading edge. A simple internet search will show multiple patterns for RWD and 4x4 vehicles ALL indicating a cross pattern. If someone knows something, I'd post it instead of offering advice based on nothing or habit.

Still trying to figure out the locker thing. I think you have a tire that is low and causing a pull...not the locker.

Lonnie

It is now fine to cross radials during rotation. It is recommended on everything but directional tread.
The claim about not changing direction originated in the late 70's with steel belted radials, causing belt breakage & was quickly updated.

On most vehicles, take the rears straight forward & cross the fronts as you put them on the rear.
This method seems to result in the most even tire wear.

Often on an AWD or full time 4x4 it is recommended to cross front to back & cross back to front.
I still have better results with the first method.

I always see feathering on the front axle & rarely any on the rears.
In this case you want to use the first option.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks