• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV M1009 Battery cut off switch

bcolemanttu

I have read every post I can find on this subject. I have read some say no, others say yes. I am determined to do this so can someone tell me the correct way and the best switch to use. I found a post recommending a switch and found out it was wrong so I need someone who really knows the M1009 system to please offer up their wisdom.:smile:

K9Vic

Just put a cut-off on the pink wire on the IP, that will prevent it from starting.

Generally if you have a battery kill and there is no power, thieves will look for a cut off and may find it. If the truck turns over and does not start, they will just move on.

Nowhereman

If you are just trying to keep someone from stealing it use a chain and a pad lock like it is done in the Army. Bolt or weld the chain to the floor and wrap the chain around the steering wheel and lock it. It will keep an honest man honest.

richingalveston

I believe it would require 2. one for the 24V and one for the 12V. Not sure you could do it by just disconnecting a neg. or just one Pos. wire.
check marine disconnects, You can prob. find a 24v that will carry enough amps.

Best theft switch is disconnecting the power wire to the IP.

MarcusOReallyus

What about the frying electronics. Is there not a correct way to install a cut off switch?

Best way to prevent that is with the doghead mod. That's the big one that has people scrambling to disconnect the batteries.

Really, if you have a problem with the electrical system, by the time you get the hood open and flip a switch, you've already got fried wires. You just aren't faster than electricity, even with a switch.

If you really insist on doing it, make sure it's a monster, and put the switch in the ground lead. If there's no ground path to the batteries, there's no current flowing anywhere. Just make sure the switch is disconnecting the ground COMPLETELY.

I think you're trying to solve a one-in-a-million problem, but suit yourself. It's your truck.

Keith_J

Actually, cutting power to the starter is where you want, if the starter sticks. The Doghead mod only addresses the under dash 12/24 relay problem, the actual starter solenoid which throws the starter drive into the ring gear and makes the connection between the batteries and the starter can also stick.

This will accomplish both of the thread starter's intents and is a bit more hidden than a simple battery disconnect.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Last edited:

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If that is the way you want to go you will need to add the switch where the main battery feed comes off the 24v Positive Terminal Board.

E-01 - Stater Cutoff Switch.gif

While no one makes a plug and play setup for this you could make a box and install one of these switches

Power Switch.jpg17-3563CutOffSwitch.jpg

Or something like one of these:

https://www.google.com/search?q=bat...=6IAhVLC3HK_vigLctoCYAQ&ved=0CGAQsAQ#imgdii=_

The LSSVs use something very similar to this for when the truck is parked for a long period of time.

Last edited:

eme411

Steel Soldiers Supporter
there is a switch that will do the job , I have one on all my WW 2 and M-series vehicles , they are common in all M-113's , military master kill switch , installed inside vehicle it will do what you need , it will require running your ground leads inside the truck and then back to the power bar,

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
there is a switch that will do the job , I have one on all my WW 2 and M-series vehicles , they are common in all M-113's , military master kill switch , installed inside vehicle it will do what you need , it will require running your ground leads inside the truck and then back to the power bar,
One issue with that is that there are multiple battery grounds on the CUCV.

bcolemanttu

What if I used this switch and disconnected both the 12 and 24 at the same time with one switch.

[h=2]Heavy Duty Double Pole Battery Switch, 400A Continuous[/h]

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Where would you mount such a switch? You going to run all the battery wires into the cab and mount it on your dash?

By the time you see smoke, it's going to be too late.

Preventative maintenance is your best option.