• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV M1009 External spare tire mount

gt1009

If you make those, count me in for one. That spare tire inside takes up too much space for me. How much do you think it would cost to get one made?

Mike_Pop

I'm working on prices for the steel. It won't be until another month when I can make a few of these. I'll get a rough price, get back to you and take some orders. The rack that I have is holding a 33" tire and if were to make them, I would make sure it can accomodate a 33" tire and a feul can. Actually, the original fuel can holder was a little different. It was a piece of angle iron that the US fuel can would rest on. But being that I like the European cans because they don't leak, I cut mine off and added the US can holder. The European cans do not have a lip on the bottom.

Mike Pop

gt1009

I would someday like to put bigger tires on my truck. Would it be possible for you to make one that would acomodate a tire that size (35 or 36")?

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Make sure you add some reinforcing on the inside of the body where it mounts. I have seen some civi carriers rip right off the body after stress cracks got the best of the mounts.

BKinzey

steelsoldiers said:
Make sure you add some reinforcing on the inside of the body where it mounts. I have seen some civi carriers rip right off the body after stress cracks got the best of the mounts.
X2. Looks fairly lightweight to me. The problem of that type of mount pulling out of the fender is well known. A 33" tire is probably pushing it's limits and I'd definitely be concerned about putting a larger tire on it. A bumper/frame mounted tire carrier is the way to go. :wink:

Mike_Pop

I put additional steel on the inside of the truck where the tire rack mounts. I'm not totally crazy about mounting to the corner of the truck and wold prefer a bumper mounted rack as well. However, the M1009 bumper is not very strong. Having the step bumper is much stronger but it takes time to mount a step to the M1009.

Somemedic

Mike, can you send me the pics of how the rack mounts to the bumbper/body? My buddy has the means to weld and a tube bender.I know he could make a proto, jig it, and then knock out a few of these for us.Need to see where it mounts and a close up of the hinges

superburban

Let me know on the price. I would be interested in one for my Suburban, if I can afford it. The spare tire carrier inside is full of a WVO tank!

Mike_Pop

I'm not crazy about this design so when I get to my friend's shop in Albuquerque, I will put something together that will be a little stronger and better supported. Maybe even hold two fuel cans. I'll know better on a price with a better design.

jdeoliveira74

Here are some pics of a civvy tire rack that I picked up. I'm thinking of making some of these at my friend's shop. He's got a tubing bender. If anyone is interested, let me know.

Mike Pop
Hey
did you put the m1008 bumper on your m1009?? I was debating doing that myself?? Can you take a few more pics?
thanks
Jon

Hey
did you put the m1008 bumper on your m1009?? I was debating doing that myself?? Can you take a few more pics?
thanks
Jon
Do it! I swapped out bumpers and it's one of the most practical mods I've done to it. You need a welder and either a cutting torch, plasma cutter or angle grinder but pretty simple. Just understand you will be cutting the frame rails back and it's smooth sailing. badb1581-6c83-4d95-88b7-648bdb448602_kindlephoto-22873822.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks