• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV M1009 Tailgate Hinge Question

jawalter

I'm replacing my tailgate do to rust around one of the hinges. After removing my old tailgate and hinges, I noticed that the hinges were impossible to bend with your bare hands. The only way I can get them to bend is to put one leaf in a vise and then I put a 15" crescent wrench on the other leaf. Is this stiff hinge action normal? I'm wondering if the stiff hinges keep the tailgate from falling when you put it down.

jawalter

Thanks - I guess I need to by a set of new hinges now for $160. Oh well, I guess its better not to destroy my new tailgate with old hinges that don't want to bend.

jawalter

I tried some PB Blaster and WD-40. I worked the hinges for at least 15 minutes with one leaf secured stationary in a vise and the other leaf rotated back-and-forth with a 15" long crescent wrench. Unfortunately, the hinges didn't get any looser. I could actually feel the hinge knuckels getting hot after working them! Thanks for the suggestion.

REGULATOR

Id soak them down and let them sit over night before I just gave up on them

but I hate to replace anythign if I don't have to