• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

cucv/ M35 axles

Oldsouthernboy

I have seen some local chevy trucks with duce axles, I know it must be one heck of a job to put duce axles under a cucv, The local talent have them in 4 wheel drive with detroit locker in the rear. Or so they say. with the air locker in the front with manual hubs. How much of a pain is it to put duce axles under a cucv? Or should I just bite the bullet and stay with dana 44's or 60's? I am wanting to upgrade sometime in the future.

rnd-motorsports

For the most part if you are going to drive it on the street and dont plan on 40 inch plus tires a mile wide just stay with a dana 60 front and 14 bolt rear will handle a lot of abuse and swap in rather easy and cheaper you can install what gears will fit your needs. the cucv 14 bolt rears have the detriot locker in them already and if you get a dana 60 from say a 1028 ,1010 will have a posi front or limited slip if you prefer.:driver: yes a lot of work to swap it duce axles and if you drive daily with smaller tires not very street friendly in a pickup or blazer low geared.2cents

Jimma

I have two friends that love welding and making things one put deuce axles under a jeep wagoneer and another put them under a old jeep cj5. They look cool and are strong.

KsM715

Strong and HEAVY! Like stated above unless you plan on wheeling the snot out of it (serious hardcore rock crawling stuff) I wouldnt do it. either way you'll want to change the brakes to a disc set-up, need new custom rims, plus a whole lot of other mods to get them to work right.

Edit: now that Ive said that, I still think they would be bad ass under my M715
PIc of my "Dream Truck" if only I had an unlimited supply of $$$
(yes I know they are not rockwells, but thats what I would use)

Attachments

Last edited:

Croatan_Kid

Actually putting them under the truck is quite easy. Cut and weld some spring perches and that's about it. However, they only come with a 6.72 gear ratio and you'll need at least a 44" tire to have any sort of driveability with that low of a gear or to have any ground clearance at all. You'll also need a massive amount of lift because of their top-loader pinion design, but then again, to run at least a 44, you'll need big lift anyway. Then you get into legality issues, headlight heights, bumper height laws, etc.

They are EXTREMELY heavy, parts are expensive and not near as readiliy available as your stock 1-ton axle parts are. 1-tons will hold 44s all day with few mods. I run 40s and use the truck as a daily driver and tow some pretty heavy loads on a regular basis.

Just some thoughts and info for you. Not bashing the idea, I actually want to put Rockwells under something one day if I ever get the chance.

wkbrdngsnw

I've always thought they are overkill unless you have really big horse power or a truck similar in size to what they came out of. Most people with them are just compensating for something. These days they are more for show. I don't understand how people break them.

People need to stop cannibalizing deuces to put Rockwells under their Toyota pickup on 35's just to look cool at the mall. These days the axles are almost worth more than the truck. I still wish I could afford to have a deuce to show up the mall crawlers.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks