• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV Markings in Army Service in Germany in the late 80s

PHOENIX-GER

Steel Soldiers Supporter
We had CUCV in our Air Force base at Florrennes BE in the mid 80s. I own one because of that. Would love to see Air Force markings from that group (485th TMW)
We are looking exactly for a unit which use the M1008 in the service timeline of our CUCV 1985-1996 in Germany or anywhere else. Important for us is just that we want use an unit which had use the CUCV.
Your unit is the first i know which have this point.
Do you have this unit marking also on your CUCV?
You should know that our M1008 will look like stock but will got a new drivetrain and some other minor updates so that he will not more longer original. Will you under this condition still your markings on our CUCV?

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My brother was in the Army from 1982 until the early 2000s. During that time, he was never stationed in Germany, but he did go over there a few times. During one of his trips near Munich in the mid-80s (I saw one pic of the HOFBRAUHAUS), he took a bunch of pictures of M880s, M818s, M35s, and CUCVs. I can't locate the pics of the trucks at this time, although I did find a bunch of a Cobra (or Apache...I did not look that closely) helicopter sitting and then taking off. If I can find the truck pics, I'll scan and post them.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
My brother was in the Army from 1982 until the early 2000s. During that time, he was never stationed in Germany, but he did go over there a few times. During one of his trips near Munich in the mid-80s (I saw one pic of the HOFBRAUHAUS), he took a bunch of pictures of M880s, M818s, M35s, and CUCVs. I can't locate the pics of the trucks at this time, although I did find a bunch of a Cobra (or Apache...I did not look that closely) helicopter sitting and then taking off. If I can find the truck pics, I'll scan and post them.
You know how it is @BKubu - We love Pictures!

PHOENIX-GER

Steel Soldiers Supporter
From what I've seen, Air Force markings on the CUCVs seem to just be the 'US AIR FORCE' on the tailgate and the AF serial number on the bumpers, sometimes painted on the outsides of the doors, too. I've seen trucks with 'AFE __' (presumably, Air Force Europe) with the initials of the base they were at on the bumper/tailgate, too. Sometimes it's just two letters, sometimes it's longer. I've seen AFE/GC for Greenham Common, AFE/UHAFB for Upper Heyford. Never seen any with markings specific to any one unit, just the base.

I have seen a couple of trucks in the early 80s marked with MAC instead of AFE, so it's possible that they marked trucks differently in the 70s/early 80s, or it could be that trucks stationed in the US were marked with the command they were assigned to and trucks in Europe were marked AFE. I'll double check my photos when I get home and see if I can spy any more.

I could write a whole thread on what I've dug up regarding markings, and I might just do that.
It would be a great help and i am sure there are a lot of who would be interested on your
You know how it is @BKubu - We love Pictures!
@BKubu feel free to share pictures here

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks