• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

cucv mirror mount for cb antenna and cube lights

richingalveston

I built a mount for my cb antenna and a small led cube light. I made one for the drivers side also but have not finished it yet. I still have to buy the lights so I won't install it until I get them.

They will be powder coated or painted to match the truck. And the antenna is getting a 4 inch spring base.

I would consider having these made in bulk (could be much nicer fabrication) if people were interested in them. You do have to trim the mirror base cover for the bracket and any wires you want to run. It is very strong.

I already have the rubber sleeve in the door for wiring. I have already added power windows and locks. You could run the wire through the vent window or up to the hood but through the door works best.

Attachments

Dave Kay

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Positively INGENIOUS~! Thank you~! Been looking for ways to attach things to that darned mirror and BINGO~!

richingalveston

have not purchased the lights yet, I got sidetracked. I am currently doing the IP, injectors, fan clutch, water pump, radiator, new hoses, head studs, and banks turbo with a snorkel.

It may be a little while before I get the lights. I am just happy I finished my cb install.

royalflush55

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Really slick idea for a mount, but I would be concerned about the added stress it will put on the thin sheet metal brace that is inside the door at the top. I have had these fail from the weight of stock mirrors alone as they have aged. Good luck!!

richingalveston

you can shake the truck with the mount. It does not budge. Hopefully it will last and if not, I will fix it.

I plan to run the snorkel through the fender. it will exit at the window post but I will use fiberglass to box out the inside of the fender. it will exit the fender under the hood right behind the front battery.

I have the fender and wheel well out for working on the engine. I plan to get the snorkel work done while the fender is out.

MarcusOReallyus

Really slick idea for a mount, but I would be concerned about the added stress it will put on the thin sheet metal brace that is inside the door at the top. I have had these fail from the weight of stock mirrors alone as they have aged. Good luck!!

Agreed. I think the new mount is stronger than what's supporting it.

That aside, it is an ingenious and clean-looking solution. :beer:

A few concerns from the radio side of things:

Grounding:

• Looks like you are using a black oxide screw for the ground. That's a no-no, especially in radioland. The oxide coating makes it a semi-conductor. Not good.
  • It doesn't appear that you cleaned the steel down to bare, clean metal. Again, not good. It needs to be shiny clean, and a coating of dielectric grease to prevent corrosion is a good idea.
  • That door probably isn't a good ground in the first place. Remember that grounding that might be okay for a light bulb isn't necessarily okay for radio. Things get a lot more sensitive at radio frequencies.

The antenna's location is going to give you a distorted pattern. You have most of the cab on one side. Worse, you have the antenna running fairly close to the cab. Will it work? Yes, but it's going to cost you some range. Possibly a lot of range.

That coax has some pretty sharp bends. That's costing you signal. Coax no likey sharp turns.

Last edited:

richingalveston

I am aware of the grounding issues. I ran grounds to the door, and the mount. under the screws it is shiny. There is a ground wire that connects, the cb mount itself to a ground wire to the chasis, one from the door itself and another to the antenna mount itself outside the door.

The antenna is 80% top loaded. it is only 3 ft so yes that hurts it enough already. The top foot of the antenna which holds 80% of the coil is just above the roof line which is well grounded.

yes it is directional. I am going to do a second on the driver side and see if that helps in the directional side of things.

It is intended to be a trail ride cb, so I can talk to others on the trail, I am not trying to talk coast to coast.

Find a better solution for the 1009 without using the massive military mounts. When needed, it can be tied back to the door handle and thus it opens and shuts with the door. no place to tie it back if I did the hood mount.